International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Considering Dragon. Basic question...
Thread poster: Peters Trans

Peters Trans
France
Local time: 15:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 16, 2007

Hi all,

Have been researching a bit on the forum but couldn't figure this out. I know it's probably a very basic question, but as an English speaking translator translating into English do I have to buy an "English" version of Dragon Naturally Speaking?

Recently I'm starting to get aching fingers from typing and so I've decided to enter the world of voice recognition, which will be totally new for me.

So my question is basically, as I live in France, and if I go to my local French store and buy Dragon there, will it work for me translating into English or whould I need to get an English version?

Alos I have see some good offers online for Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 Preferred. Is this ok to go with? There seels to be a huge price difference to get the professional version.

Thanks for your help and apologies for such a basic question.

Direct link Reply with quote

Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
All come with English Jan 16, 2007

All versions come with English, so it is better for you to buy it in France, since then you get two languages, whereas in the UK you'll only get one.

You'll need to download the English manual off the internet to find the commands, since the French manual will only give you the Fench commands.

NB, I bought the French version, so I know you definitely get English.

Peters Trans
France
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 16, 2007

Thanks for that Timothy.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:03
German to English
Dragon is a memory hog Jan 17, 2007

I bought the "preferred" version. Despite 2 GB RAM and a 3.4 GHz processor, Dragon slows my computer to a crawl when I work with the program. It takes a while to train (I speak standard, non-accented US English, and it's still learning my pronunciation). In short, don't expect miracles right away, and expect to pay a price in computer performance. I expect that over time my throughput will increase, but currently, when I have a tight deadline, keyboarding is much faster.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
I didn't notice much slowdown Jan 17, 2007

Kevin Fulton wrote:

I bought the "preferred" version. Despite 2 GB RAM and a 3.4 GHz processor, Dragon slows my computer to a crawl when I work with the program. It takes a while to train (I speak standard, non-accented US English, and it's still learning my pronunciation). In short, don't expect miracles right away, and expect to pay a price in computer performance. I expect that over time my throughput will increase, but currently, when I have a tight deadline, keyboarding is much faster.

I have been using Preferred version 8 for almost 2 years, and I have experienced none of the symptoms described by Kevin with a desktop P42GHz/1GB RAM. There may be some tuning to do to disable features you don't need. All in all, with about 60 processes running concurrently (incl. Trados/SDLX, Outlook, IE6, Adobe Reader, DNS, AV, Google desktop...) my computer is still responsive.
I was able to be productive with it within a few days and now I even "talk" most of my emails in French. No way I would go back to keyboard only, even though I still use it (to write English among other tasks).
Cherry on the cake, I am pretty convinced I gained about 20% productivity with DNS.
Happy voice-recognizing,
Philippe

EDit: My v.8 French version contains English, I second Tim

[Edited at 2007-01-17 11:56]

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:03
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dragon not so slow Jan 17, 2007

I fully agree with Kevin Fulton's advice not to expect miracles right away. But I am surprised that he has performance problems. I run Dragon Preferred on a 512 MB machine, with a 2.3 Ghz processor Dragon takes ages to load, and the first sentence can take a minute. But once past that, I find dictation is remarkably rapid, and I can certainly dictate twice as fast as I can type, and with remarkable accuracy, using the standard microphone (as I am doing now).

Peters Trans
France
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for replies Jan 17, 2007

Hi everyone,

Well, I took a big step and bought the problems morning. I got the Dragon Naturally Speaking, version 9 preferred version, and I couldn't be happier.
I had no problems installing it, got through the whole voice adaptation process quickly and had even seem to understand my Irish acts and without any problems! In fact, I'm using it at the moment to write this. I've also done a few e-mails using it just try it out, and apart from mistaking three or four words, I've had no other problems with it. I've installed on my laptop, and it doesn't seem to have had any affect on slowing the machine down.
I know I'll probably have to practise with it quite a bit to make sure it is working properly, but I must say I'm very happy with this investment.
Anyway, thanks to all of you for your quick and helpful replies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Considering Dragon. Basic question...

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search