Trados and Dragon Speak
Thread poster: Buck

Buck
Netherlands
Local time: 06:52
Dutch to English
Mar 8, 2007

Hi. Can anyone tell me whether Dragon Speak can also be used in Trados (I have asked my boss to buy it, but he said no, because it allegedly doesn't work in Trados). TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Mar 8, 2007

It's possible.

Are you using Dragon? Which version?

Alicia

Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
trados and voice recognition software Mar 8, 2007

Hi. Thanks for posting. Well, we use trados in the office, and I am interested in trying dragon speak (I have my own office, so I wouldn't be disturbing anyone). My boss has somehow become convinced that DS does NOT work in Trados, and that is his reason for not buying it. I am going to by dragon speak for use at home (and I don't use trados at home).
You said "possible". Does it give problems?

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dragon Mar 8, 2007

You need to "train" Dragon.
I´ve got D8.
I heard that the new version requires less "training".

A.

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I use Trados with Dragon Mar 8, 2007

You can use Dragon Speech Recognition with Trados, as with any software where you input text...
But some voice commands do not always work when in other software than Word, Outlook and a few others... This is a small limitation (makes corrections a bit more difficult, for instance).
When using Dragon + Trados, I have two different feelings :
- I hate using Word + Trados + Dragon, because I almost always end up breaking some tags in the file... Undoing (Ctrl-Z) is very difficult, as undoing a Dragon input means undoing a huge number of Word actions... I often end up with a TU that I cannot close. The good thing is, the TM is OK, I close everything and start again from the initial text, and translate to fuzzy... Boring.
- When I work in TagEditor, no problem, it works great.

Anyway, whether in Word or TagEditor, I personnally always use Dragon with Trados, because it saves me time and my hands don't work well.

Dragon 9 doesn't require initial training. It's true, I did it and it worked. However, spending 15 mns reading the initial text may still be a good idea, it will improve the recognition later.

Fernando Tognis  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It works Mar 8, 2007

Dragon is compatible with Trados, at least with version 6.5.
There are some small format problems sometimes, but nothing that can't be corrected.
Regards,

Fernando Tognis

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 00:52
Spanish to French
+ ...
DNS 8.0 Mar 8, 2007

Personally, I had a not so convincing experience with DNS 8.0+TRADOS+WORD. I think the best option is to use the "text only" option; otherwise, the pointer/cursor can go beserk and end up in another paragraph as you start talking.
Sometimes, it just stop recognizing speech. In those cases, I usually wait to see if the engine needed some time, but most of the time nothing comes out. I have gone through the setup steps successfully though.
Another suggestion would be to have a powerful machine. That might enable a faster recognition... Otherwise, you have to choose between fast and accurate.

bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Dragon 8 does not like huge files Mar 8, 2007

Nicolas Coyer wrote:

Sometimes, it just stop recognizing speech. In those cases, I usually wait to see if the engine needed some time, but most of the time nothing comes out.

I have experienced this kind of behavior (speech recognition getting very slow... almost stopping). I realized at some point that it only happened in big files, after something like 20-30 pages... I also discovered that if I splitted the file, the problem disappeared. This was with Dragon8, not sure that this problem exists in Dragon9.

Also, I've had to stop the regular scans of my anti-virus, as Dragon freezes when it is running in the background...
Moreover, if Dragon has been in the background inactive for a long time, it takes some time before it comes back to life.... I need probably more memory, Dragon9 seems greedier than previous versions. Regarding processor speed, I think it is OK : once all the software code is in memory, it can recognize text at speech speed. I can dictate sentences without stopping.

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
DNS 9 and Trados 7.5 Mar 9, 2007

Hi,

I recently bought DNS 9 (Preferred) and have just begun using it with Trados 7.5 (+Word).
No problems so far.

However, I find DNS has trouble with certain commands and combinations, especially in Dutch. (for example: 'punt(.)', 'puntkomma(;)' take a while for Dragon to understand. I get the funniest results, and I have not yet found out why it sometimes does understand the command and sometimes it doesn't.)

English is easier, I only wish I could switch from English to Dutch vice versa in the same user account. Right now, I need to switch accounts in order to switch between languages.

Regards,
Margreet

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Switching languages is the only problem I know of Mar 9, 2007

English is easier, I only wish I could switch from English to Dutch vice versa in the same user account. Right now, I need to switch accounts in order to switch between languages.

A colleague of mine is using it without too many problems.

The only thing we could not solve is switching between languages.

Normally, you work with the target language but when you use the concordance, for instance, you want to switch to the source language to dicate the source text that you want to search for and it does not seem to be possible.

The same happens with terminology. You normally dictate in the target language but if you want to search terminology (in MultiTerm or in a dictionary), you want to use the source language.

Has anyone found an easy way of switching languages on the fly or do you always have to switch profiles in Dragon?

Daniel

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
DNS and TagEditor: correction box unavailable Mar 19, 2007

Hi,
I've been using DNS 9 for a few months and it works perfectly well with the CAT-Tool I use most, DejaVu.

Now I have to do some work in TagEditor (I use version 7.5), which I had never used with DNS, and I've noticed that I can't correct wrongly recognised words automatically as usual. When I say the command to correct a word, the correction box is not displayed. This is quite a nuisance because I find that when the same homonyms get corrected a couple of times (e.g. "l'étirage" instead of "les tirages") DNS begins to choose the good one more often.

Is this behaviour normal or is there some problem with my installation? Do you have a solution?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
Marie-Céline

Julia Lecuona Allende  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Problem with Tageditor Feb 10, 2009

HI, I have trados freelance 2007 and DNS 9.5 (spanish) and it worked well until I tried to work with tageditor. When I dictate, I see the little window with the words but they never enter the segment of tageditor, nothing gets written in the Tageditor window. Does somebody know what I'm doing wrong?

Thank You very much for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and Dragon Speak

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search