Using voice-to-text for translation - experiences?
Thread poster: David BUICK
David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:40
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
May 17, 2007

I'm getting worried about my wrists wearing out and wondering how useful voice-to-text might be.

I hear Vista has this facility, and I know there is some software out there for XP.

Does anybody have experience of any of this, and using it in a multilingual context (eg using a language different from the one the OS is running in, switching languages...)?

Thanks!

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:40
Spanish
+ ...
Speech Recognition Forum May 17, 2007

Hello,

We have a Speech Recognition Forum where you can find a lot of feedback on speech recognition software. I use Dragon Naturally Speaking 8.0 in Spanish and I'm very happy I bought it. The bilingual editions of DNS include English and a second language so you could choose the edition which is going to be more useful for you, and you cannot only dictate but also control your computer in both languages.
... See more
Hello,

We have a Speech Recognition Forum where you can find a lot of feedback on speech recognition software. I use Dragon Naturally Speaking 8.0 in Spanish and I'm very happy I bought it. The bilingual editions of DNS include English and a second language so you could choose the edition which is going to be more useful for you, and you cannot only dictate but also control your computer in both languages.

The main reason I bought DNS was the constant pain in my arms and wrists, even using both my keyboard and DNS, the pain is completely gone. And the more you use it, the better--and faster it works because it "learns" how you speak; you can also train it to learn specific commands.

Good luck,

Claudia
Collapse

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - what about Vista May 17, 2007

Thanks for the link. Maybe worth keeping this thread alive just long enough to ask whether anyone has experience of how all this works with Vista?

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Moving the thread... May 17, 2007

to the Speech Recognition forum.

Magda

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:40
English to French
+ ...
Dragon May 18, 2007

I guess that's the one you meant for XP.

I have been using it - I am using it today, as a matter of fact. My best performance ever without speech recognition was around 5000 words. My best ever with speech recognition: 13000 words!

Many of us use Dragon to be more productive and increase revenue - but I rather use it to have the same revenue while I get more time off work to spend with family and friends.

My wrists - and my boyfriend - are thanking me big t
... See more
I guess that's the one you meant for XP.

I have been using it - I am using it today, as a matter of fact. My best performance ever without speech recognition was around 5000 words. My best ever with speech recognition: 13000 words!

Many of us use Dragon to be more productive and increase revenue - but I rather use it to have the same revenue while I get more time off work to spend with family and friends.

My wrists - and my boyfriend - are thanking me big time!
Collapse

Paola PCR
Paola PCR  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
Windows Vista is very good (for this) May 18, 2007

Hi!

I am using Vista and Office 2007 in Spanish. The results are quite good, far from perfect, but really good, I love it. However, you must be patient, since it takes some time for you to get used to it and also you for the sofware to get used to your voice and the way to speak.

Anyway, I would say the effort is worth it and it is a very good option. I remember Office XP had a similar feature, but only for English. I have the LA Spanish version and it's great (a
... See more
Hi!

I am using Vista and Office 2007 in Spanish. The results are quite good, far from perfect, but really good, I love it. However, you must be patient, since it takes some time for you to get used to it and also you for the sofware to get used to your voice and the way to speak.

Anyway, I would say the effort is worth it and it is a very good option. I remember Office XP had a similar feature, but only for English. I have the LA Spanish version and it's great (and it is also great to avoid buying extra software). There is no need to install anything else, you can start working with it right ahead (provided you have a microphone and so on, of course, but if you have Vista, you surely have all you need).

And yes, it can be use with almost all programs, even Trados, email, web...

Saludos!!!

PCR
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:40
English to French
+ ...
Question about Vista May 18, 2007

I am wondering whether, independently from the language of your Vista, you can pick the language you want to dictate in. If I had Vista in English and I wanted to dictate into, say, Spanish, would I have the option to do that? Or does the English version of Vista allow only for dictation in English, the Spanish version for dictation in Spanish and so on?

I am asking because it may be worthless to buy Vista for dictation only to find out you can't dictate in your target language. Dra
... See more
I am wondering whether, independently from the language of your Vista, you can pick the language you want to dictate in. If I had Vista in English and I wanted to dictate into, say, Spanish, would I have the option to do that? Or does the English version of Vista allow only for dictation in English, the Spanish version for dictation in Spanish and so on?

I am asking because it may be worthless to buy Vista for dictation only to find out you can't dictate in your target language. Dragon has bilingual versions (I'm using the EN+FR version because I translate into French, and sometimes into English). Also, Vista could be useless for the more rare species of translators who translates into several languages - unless you can load different language files for dictation.

Anybody can tell us about this?
Collapse

David BUICK
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Made my decision May 26, 2007

I've ordered Dragon 9 preferred edition. Thanks for the comments and pointing me to this thread.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using voice-to-text for translation - experiences?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »