Thread poster: Diana Coada

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:45
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 15, 2008

Hi,

I just wanted to know if any of you know about books, links or articles debating this topic.

Any suggestions are welcome, cheers:)

Direct link

Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:45
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
A blog on translation Oct 17, 2008

Hi Diana,

That's a "hot" debate...the old story!
I remember my "Translation History and Theories" class at university... the teacher talked a lot about that. He definitely was an "ad sensum" translator, while other teachers were "ad verbum". Was quite hard for us students when we were given translation assignements, because we had to do each assignement according to the teacher's preferences...*sigh*

Ok, here is the link to a translation blog where you'll find an entry on that subject:
http://transtopia.blogspot.com/2005/04/principles-of-translation.html

There are a lot of books too - check out Google books, Amazon, etc.

Any suggestions, links, discussions, resources , etc. from fellow ProZ students are more than welcome!

HTH!

CheerZ,
Anne

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ad Verbum versus Ad Sensum Translation

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search