Thread poster: Soledad Azcona
Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:04
German to French
+ ...
Welcome Maria Cecilia! Jun 25, 2008

Hello girl, and wow thanks for your introduction! It's great to have you here and to meet you!

CheerZ,
Anne

Kasia Altman (X)
Kasia Altman (X)

Introduction Jun 27, 2008

Hello everyone, I'm one of the most recent additions to ProZ.com, having joined yesterday. My name is Kasia, I'm 26, and I'm currently doing a Masters in Legal Translation online at the University of Genoa. I live (temporarily) in Seoul, South Korea but I am originally from Poland, though I moved to the US with my parents as a child, and my studies have taken me to Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and Australia as well. I'm trying to learn as much as I can from my Masters and I supplement it all wi... See more
Hello everyone, I'm one of the most recent additions to ProZ.com, having joined yesterday. My name is Kasia, I'm 26, and I'm currently doing a Masters in Legal Translation online at the University of Genoa. I live (temporarily) in Seoul, South Korea but I am originally from Poland, though I moved to the US with my parents as a child, and my studies have taken me to Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and Australia as well. I'm trying to learn as much as I can from my Masters and I supplement it all with way too much research.

I'm very happy to have found and joined this forum, and I hope to be a great addition to this community!

I look forward to swapping lots of info and tips with everyone!

Kasia
Collapse

andrewj
andrewj
English to French
+ ...
Andrew from Ireland Jul 11, 2008

hey, i'm currently doing an undergrad in french and german here in ireland. i'm pretty much a novice in regards to translating pieces and i thought i woud join this site to gain some tips and experience

María Ferreyra Squillaci
María Ferreyra Squillaci
Spain
English to Spanish
My introduction Jul 31, 2008

Hi! My name is María Mercedes Ferreyra and I'm 22 years old. I'm from Mendoza, a province situated in the west side of Argentina. At this moment, I'm studying at Aconcagua University and I have only 6 subjects to become a translator, I suppose that by February I'll be graduating.
I'd like to make meet people and make useful contacts so I can start working before graduating, and that way, having substancial work by next year.
I hope I can meet new people and gain experience.

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Welcome guys! Aug 1, 2008

Hey guys, thank you very much for your introductions! It's nice meeting you and seeing our StudentZ Community grow.

Stay on... there's a new StudentZ Translation Contest upcoming and you're more than welcome to participate!

CheerZ,
Anne

Philippe Leve
Philippe Leve  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Introduction Aug 17, 2008

Hello everyone !

My name is Philippe Levé, I'm French and I live in north of France.
I'm a teacher in Mathematics and Science and I've passed a certificate to teach in English. I'm interested in translation, and I 've translated documents into French just for my own pleasure (and to use part of texts not yet translated, for my pupils).
I'm a student "on my own". I'm looking for a distance-learning to take a certificate or a diploma. (I can't go to University, or take a
... See more
Hello everyone !

My name is Philippe Levé, I'm French and I live in north of France.
I'm a teacher in Mathematics and Science and I've passed a certificate to teach in English. I'm interested in translation, and I 've translated documents into French just for my own pleasure (and to use part of texts not yet translated, for my pupils).
I'm a student "on my own". I'm looking for a distance-learning to take a certificate or a diploma. (I can't go to University, or take a "free-year")I've done a few translations, but I need a certificate or something, to offer my skills "professionnally".
Maybe WLS in Dublin, or a DU in University. Or Diptrans... I don't know yet.
If anyone can help me, give any advice or feedback, thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Philippe
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Bienvenue Philippe! Aug 19, 2008

Hi Philippe!

Thank you for your complete introduction - welcome on the StudentZ Forum! Your projects sounds great - I wish I could help regarding foreign universities, but did you consider taking the translator course through a French university, or do you actually want to graduate from an English-speaking one?

CheerZ,
Anne

NadiaJC
NadiaJC  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:04
French to English
Hello! Oct 19, 2008

Hi everyone!

I think I'm a bit late jumping on the band waggon but what the hey! My name is Nadia, I'm 20yrs and currently in my second year at the University of Manchester studying Spanish and Portuguese. And I love it!

My love of languages started, albeit subconsciously when I was 4yrs old. This is when my whole family moved from London to a tiny village in France where I spent all my primary school. We moved back to England just in time for me to go straight to seco
... See more
Hi everyone!

I think I'm a bit late jumping on the band waggon but what the hey! My name is Nadia, I'm 20yrs and currently in my second year at the University of Manchester studying Spanish and Portuguese. And I love it!

My love of languages started, albeit subconsciously when I was 4yrs old. This is when my whole family moved from London to a tiny village in France where I spent all my primary school. We moved back to England just in time for me to go straight to secondary school and start learning Spanish. I realised pretty early on that knowing both English and French was a big help to learning other languages. At the moment Portuguese is my new addiction.

I haven't got any experience in translating professionally yet but I am very interested in becoming a professional free-lance translator so that I can travel. My first passion is ski instructing, I've now done two seasons in New Zealand and I'm hoping to do a season in Argentina this coming summer (for Northern hemisphere). I love using languages to communicate with people on a day to day basis and hopefully I will be able to travel all around the world ski instructing and translating. This would be my perfect life!!!

So far my languages include English, French, Spanish and Portuguese but one day (in the faaar future!) I would like to add German, Japanese and one of the Indian languages...whichever one is most widely spoken in the ski areas. hehe.

I also love film, art and music....I play the saxophone and have a very unofficial band in which I sing and songwrite.

Nice to meet everyone! What a great community feel!
Cheers
Collapse

Maria Pina
Maria Pina
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Maria Pina from Italy Oct 19, 2008

Ciao a tutti!

I'm Maria Pina, 22, and I just started my M.A. in Comparative Literatures (Anglo-American and Japanese as major). I'm not studying as a translator in the strict sense of the word but that's what I'm most interested in and one of the things that I'd like to do. I'm also trained in French and German and I LOVE to travel.
Unfortunately I still live in the provinces near Naples, therefore I haven't many possibilities of cultural exchange but I hope to move as sooner
... See more
Ciao a tutti!

I'm Maria Pina, 22, and I just started my M.A. in Comparative Literatures (Anglo-American and Japanese as major). I'm not studying as a translator in the strict sense of the word but that's what I'm most interested in and one of the things that I'd like to do. I'm also trained in French and German and I LOVE to travel.
Unfortunately I still live in the provinces near Naples, therefore I haven't many possibilities of cultural exchange but I hope to move as sooner as possible to Berlin.
I recently completed my first real (i.e. paid ^_^) job and immediately learned how demanding could it be, but that's why we like it!

I wish good luck to everyone and I hope I will get to know you in time.

Mapi
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Welcome girls! Oct 20, 2008

Hello Nadia and Maria, and thanks a lot for your detailed and nice presentations!

Welcome in your Studentz Community - make yourselves at home!

CheerZ,
Anne

Renée B.
Renée B.
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hello, everyone! Oct 22, 2008

Hello!

I have just joined the forum today, so please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Renée and I am preparing to take the Chamber of Commerce translator exam in German-English/English-German. To prepare myself for this rather rigorous exam, I have been doing a lot of translation work, reading and speaking to my husband, who is a native German.

As to my professional background, I took courses in German, French and a bit of Russian and majored in political scien
... See more
Hello!

I have just joined the forum today, so please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Renée and I am preparing to take the Chamber of Commerce translator exam in German-English/English-German. To prepare myself for this rather rigorous exam, I have been doing a lot of translation work, reading and speaking to my husband, who is a native German.

As to my professional background, I took courses in German, French and a bit of Russian and majored in political science (B.A.). After graduating I went to Germany on a Fulbright fellowship and taught English at a German Gymasium for two years. Then, I worked at a German company briefly as a foreign language correspondent, but that was really *not* my thing: My only joy was the occasional translation that would land my way. Otherwise I was nothing more than a glorified secretary doing the same thing day in, day out. Ugh.

Because translation had given me a great deal of joy, I hoped to study translation formally and even got accepted to FASK Uni-Mainz Germersheim, which is one of the best schools for translation in Germany. I had intended on doing English-German-French-Russian. However, lack of funds forced me to find another alternative, so I'm teaching myself translation while working full-time.

Despite my professional experience, I feel that more work still needs to be done on my translation work, and cooperating with you all might prove to be mutually beneficial. The test will take place in March 2009, but my work still requires quite a bit of polishing. I have to admit I am nervous, but I guess that will keep me on my toes.

One of the biggest challenges of teaching yourself translation is finding good material and solutions. Answer keys and feedback are essential to know if my translations are correct. Sure, I can go and translate an article from the "New York Times" or "Financial Times" or even "Manager Magazine" or "Wirtschafts Woche," but I still do not know if it is *accurate*. So any material or suggestions would be extremely helpful!

Thanks so much, and we can work together and help each other!

Regards,

Renée
Collapse

savannahgoyette
savannahgoyette
Canada
Local time: 06:04
Hi from Canada! Nov 6, 2008

Hi! My name is Savannah and I was born in a small town in Alberta, Canada. I am 18 years old. I am in my first year of a BA degree at the University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB, Canada), majoring in French Language and Literature and minoring in Japanese Language and Literature.

I like cats and playing drums/percussion. Last year I took a couple weeks of Spanish night classes, and I’d like to learn more languages as a hobby in the future. I would love to be able to specialize in area
... See more
Hi! My name is Savannah and I was born in a small town in Alberta, Canada. I am 18 years old. I am in my first year of a BA degree at the University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB, Canada), majoring in French Language and Literature and minoring in Japanese Language and Literature.

I like cats and playing drums/percussion. Last year I took a couple weeks of Spanish night classes, and I’d like to learn more languages as a hobby in the future. I would love to be able to specialize in areas like pop culture, pop/rock music, beauty, perhaps women’s and LGBT studies, and (as awful as this sounds!) celebrity culture.

Nice to meet you all
Collapse

Helen Barker
Helen Barker  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Hello everyone Jan 13, 2009

Hi, I'm Helen from England, although I'm studying in Freiburg, Germany for my erasmus year at the moment. I'm doing German Studies at Birmingham University.
I love languages and reading and combining the two is even better. I remember reading my first full book in German and being so proud of myself. I'm also quite interesting in fitness and cooking.
I really want to be a translator although I know I'm nowhere near good enough yet so I've joined this site to try and get some tips a
... See more
Hi, I'm Helen from England, although I'm studying in Freiburg, Germany for my erasmus year at the moment. I'm doing German Studies at Birmingham University.
I love languages and reading and combining the two is even better. I remember reading my first full book in German and being so proud of myself. I'm also quite interesting in fitness and cooking.
I really want to be a translator although I know I'm nowhere near good enough yet so I've joined this site to try and get some tips and some practise.
Nice to meet you all.
Collapse

Aldana Gómez Ríos
Aldana Gómez Ríos  Identity Verified
Belgium
Spanish to English
+ ...
Welcome girls! Jan 14, 2009

Hello Renée, Savannah and Helen and welcome to the site!

Trisha F
Trisha F  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hello to all Apr 1, 2009

My name is Trish. I'm currently studying translation (M.A.) at Aston University, Birmingham (UK). I have a previous degree in a different, though related, subject but I love languages and it has always been my dream to become a professional translator. Maybe I'm pursuing this dream a bit too late but I would really like to try.

I'm mainly interested in literary translation and creative writing. I love music and travelling.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Introductions

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »