WDYT?
Thread poster: Soledad Azcona

Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 13, 2007

Need a translation?

Certainly not if you use Instant Message language or IM Lingo.

So, as language students what do you think about this new kind of communication?

Are you the kind of people that when something is really funny ROFL or roll on the floor laughing?

Direct link

Kevin Kaland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
It is interesting Jul 14, 2007

Actually it's pretty interesting...because I notice that speakers of other languages understand a few of the ones I use in English!

There are other ones catching on though. Have you ever seen "@" in Spanish? Like, 'solter@s' - I saw that in a dating site ad once on elmundo.es.

Kevin

Direct link

Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:44
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
ROFL... Jul 14, 2007

To answer your question Soledad - both !
IML is very practical and convienent and I use it a lot, but only in given contexts : chat e-mail and sms with friends and family. For business, etc, I write normally.
I have nothing against IML, as long as they are not used all the time and just for "fun" and convenience and that people are aware of their real language.
The problem is that teenagers today e.g. can't spell French correctly anymore - they have no idea how to spell a given word - because they use IML all the time, even sometimes in the papers at school. Result : terrible writing and spelling skills, and maybe the worst is that they do not even care anymore.... !

Anne

[Modifié le 2007-07-14 13:53]

Direct link

Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some Spanish IML Jul 16, 2007

Kevin Jeffcoat wrote:

Actually it's pretty interesting...because I notice that speakers of other languages understand a few of the ones I use in English!

Kevin

Yes, that's true! When I chat in English I need a IML dictionary to understand stuff like IYKWIM or IMHO.
In Spanish some are: TK (te quiero/I loveyou), TB (también/also), KCY! (¡Qué sé yo!/What do I know? or I've got no idea),To2 (todos/all) and many more that I don't know because I just use the common ones! I'm sure that a Spanish speaker will help me out here.

And what do you do in other languages? I am very curious.

Direct link

Kevin Kaland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Re: WDYT? Jul 16, 2007

SoleProz wrote:

Yes, that's true! When I chat in English I need a IML dictionary to understand stuff like IYKWIM or IMHO.
In Spanish some are: TK (te quiero/I loveyou), TB (también/also), KCY! (¡Qué sé yo!/What do I know? or I've got no idea),To2 (todos/all) and many more that I don't know because I just use the common ones! I'm sure that a Spanish speaker will help me out here.

And what do you do in other languages? I am very curious.

I tend to avoid using it in other languages, but if the other person uses it I ask them about it I tend to ask a lot of questions when speaking another language to make sure I understand everything...because I could get by without the questions, but I want to sound the least like a foreigner as possible, and only other people can tell me - for example - how my choice of words sounds.

Regards,
Kevin

Direct link

Anna Martinez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
IM Lingo Jul 22, 2007

I tend to avoid using IML except when I am sending a text message on my mobile phone. Things like 'HL!" for "¡Hasta luego!" ("See you later!") or the more usual "q" for "que", "x" for "por" and the lot.

I never use IML on e-mails, letters, notes or when chatting with my friends on MSN Messenger. The only one I do allow myself to use is the one Kevin mentions, the '@'. I usually start my job e-mails with an 'Hola, chic@s' when sending them to a whole department where there are both guys and girls working and I am not sure who is going to open that e-mail.

However, I have to say, as a customer service worker whose job is to answer written complaints, that people, at least in Spain, write worse and worse everyday. How the hell can someone dare filling a complaint form using damned "text speak"?! Call me a language freak, but I personally find that very annoying. The worst thing is that, as Anne points out, they just do not care about how they write anymore.

Direct link

soleil38  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:44
English to French
I don't use IML. Jul 26, 2007

I personaly don't use IML at all. It's my way to stay on top (or try to anyway) of my language skills... both in french and in english. By always typing the words properly (as far as I know), because I'm a visual person, I remember better how they're spelled, and I make fewer mistakes. It takes more time, but I don't care. Also because I read a lot in english and live in an anglophone environment, I try to do my best when I write in french, not wanting to loose it! I don't get to speak it very often anymore, except with my 16 month old daughter... that, obviously, doesn't correct my when my language is wrong!

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WDYT?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search