Student users-only topic
Translation assessment
Thread poster: Soledad Azcona

Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 14, 2007

I was reading an article form ProZ.com Article Knowledgebase: Evaluation in Educational Setting for Training Purposes Theories and Application that gathers views of different authors on assessment in translation.

I know this is and important issue in translations courses, since as the author puts it in the article:"[...] it is often difficult to tell the difference between, e.g., ‘translation evaluation’, ‘translation criticism’, ‘translation assessment’, and ‘translation quality assessment' ".

Most of my teachers used to assess translations in terms of accuracy and they had a correction code, where a "meaning" error was the most serious (if you had three "Ms" you were lost), then you had "choice" mistakes, "spelling" ...and others that I don't' remember! (not that I wouldn't get them !)

With certain teachers, we devoted a lot of time in classes to discuss terminology choices, which I really liked. I felt that I learnt a lot listening to my partners and teacher exchange opinions on a word choice and learning about translation quality assessment. Though the question of whether a poorly-written or poorly-structured Source text should be reproduced as a poor Target Text was always reamained a fuzzy controversial case.

It think it would be interesting to exchange in this thread our experience as students with this issue: which are the methods used by different teachers and which variables do you use when assessing the quality of your own translations at school.

Well, hope you find this interesting!:)
See you!

Sole.

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation assessment

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search