Student users-only topic

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Launching the first Student Short Story Contest !
Thread poster: Anne Diamantidis

Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:27
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 17, 2007

Dear StudentZ,

I'm very pleased to announce the ProZ.com first ever Student Short Story Contest !

Now, the contest is open to student users as well as members !

The subject is totally free, so you can write about anything you feel good with - fiction, crime, love stories, science-fiction... subject free but of course it has to follow the site's etiquette rules !

There is a word limit - yeah well, without difficulties, life wouldn't be fun, wouldn't it ?icon_razz.gif - of 100 words (strict)

You will submit you stories openly on this thread, reserved only for candidates' entries ! Another thread will be opened for comments, feedback, discussions, etc on the stories.

You can submit you story until November 7th, date of closure. After that date, you will all be able to vote for the best story ! The instructions on the votes will follow at that date.

The winner will get a special mention on his/her profile !

Soledad and I stay at your disposal for any questions/infos you might need !

So, take your pens, keyboards... and, most importantly, HAVE FUN !!!icon_smile.gif

CheerZ and good luck !

Anne

younes-01
Local time: 16:27
Arabic to English
+ ...
This is my short story which I wrote after you posted just one hour ago :) Oct 19, 2007

I had a dream

I had a dream one night, a marvelous one. I wished I could stay more, just to see his face. Before I went to bed that night, I remember I made a long prayer, a true and sincere prayer. I laid down in my soft and comfortable bed, and as soon as I put my head on the pillow, my connections with this world were suspended. I traveled faraway to a miraculous and sensational place. I could only remember a warm coldness and the glimmer of light of people there. My soul merged with theirs. Then he came, the glaring source, the essence of perfection, inspiration and love; I, that deficient, imperfect and hollow human in front of all the perfection and ingenuity. It was a burden I could not bear. When I opened my mouth and asked him, who are you? He answered back, and his sparkling light preventing me from looking directly into him, I am the One. I woke up immediately, and I felt something abnormal. I felt as if my soul has just joined my body after a very long and tiring adventure.

Youness

Aldana Gómez Ríos  Identity Verified
Belgium
Spanish to English
+ ...
My short story Oct 19, 2007

Hi everyone!
I'm sorry if my story is too gloomy, I have been reading some Kafka and I am in a twisted-story kind of moodicon_razz.gif
It's quite a change from Youness's wonderful tale!! It was quite fun to write, because I had to choose every word carefully so as not to surpass the limit.
Anyway, no more introductions...

--------------------------------------------------------
What now?

I stepped back from the mirror. It was a mesmerizing sight. I stared at her motionless beauty - her fingers still clutching the blade, her face still showing the pleasure she felt when she finally untied her life. If only she had known better…

I felt the need to leave the room. I had failed terribly. I left her there, wearing my nail polish in my now slightly blue fingers still clutching the blade; my eyes blankly arrogant for the certainty of an end that had not come…

---------------------------------------------------------

Aldana.-

Jeysi Nayte  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:27
English to Spanish
This is my short story Oct 19, 2007

She looks at him and he seems to be sleeping. She closes her eyes and doesn´t feel anything but guilt. She knows she deserves that back lying next to her. She killed everything when forgot to be faithful. She silently starts to cry and felt miserable. Suddenly some lips kiss her in the forehead. She realizes it was him, so decides to tell him the truth, then she opens her lips to say the words she was so afraid of, but her husband´s fingers closes her mouth and says: ¡please don´t tell me¡ I´m just fine, come here, you must be cold.

----------------------------

jeysi

Eszter Chrobacsinszky
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Perspective Oct 20, 2007

My room is so small that the only kind of furniture that could be squeezed in was the painted-on-the-wall kind. Luckily I know about the rules of perspective.
Sometimes my friends visit me. They look strange – their eyes bulging, their breaths spasmodic – when they enter. I always ask them how they feel and if they want some tea. In my kitchen I have painted open shelves and the fire is always burning.
I admit there was a part when I almost gave up. It was the mirror. How would I know who looks into it when I’m not looking?

Andrzej Niewiarowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
my story Oct 20, 2007

Jacob watched the recording in terror. He was caught on this tape wandering around his bedroom at night holding a dirty razor. His alter ego on the screen hid the razor in the cupboard. In his left hand dangled a leather handbag. He put it next to umbrella, hat and a pair of glasses.
Yesterday Jacob was dismayed to find another unfamiliar thing in his room. He feared that someone kept planting this stuff when he was asleep. He locked the door and turned the camcorder on to see if anyone would come.
Then he lay on the sofa and closed his eyes.

andrew

Kyster (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:27
Danish to English
+ ...
Know the feeling? Oct 20, 2007

I slide out of bed early. The bed is warm and he is still in it. But I must leave to pursue my dream. Dreaming when awake requires getting up early and staying up late. My dream is full of words, languages waltzing and fox trotting and occasionally falling quite ungracefully. I should do the dishes and clean the house but I leave that on the same mental shelf as spending time with my friends and going to the gym. I will pursue my dream. Alone. I turn on the computer and begin to do my homework: Translation 101.

younes-01
Arabic to English
+ ...
This is my short story; abiding by the rules Oct 20, 2007

Hi all, it was difficult to make it 100 wordsicon_smile.gif

One night, I had a marvelous dream. I remember before I went to bed I made a long prayer. As soon as I put my head on the pillow, my connections with this world were suspended. I traveled faraway to a miraculous place. I could only remember the glimmer of light of people there. My soul merged with theirs. Then he came, the glaring source. When I asked him, who are you? He answered: I am the One. I woke up immediately, and I felt as if my soul has just joined my body after a long and tiring adventure

André Fachada  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The longest story of the longest journey of the world Oct 31, 2007

Like all the others i also had an hard time turning this 200 and so word short story in a 100 word "tiny" short story!
I wouls also like to say that this story is based on true events!!! Cheerz

The longest story in the world! (Based on true events)

I need to go! Water is what I need! I don’t know why, I just know. Argh! Why won’t it brake? It’s cracking next to my feet! - “CRACK” - Finally! I'm buried in sand? I’ll just have to dig trough, after all, I will eventually find water… Won’t I?
At last the beach! My brothers are already going into the water. I’m running but the journey never seems to end. Why are those birds here? THEY’RE EATING US… I’m near the water. Damned waves won’t let me pass! I DID IT! Wow, look at all the space I have for me now.

Valosh
English to French
+ ...
The day he came into my life... Nov 1, 2007

That very day, life as I knew it was never to be again... A door I never knew existed suddenly opened in my heart and, an immense surge of love came pouring out transforming my meagre existence into an incredible, exciting, exhausting, rewarding journey...
Seven years have gone by since the birth of that all encompassing feeling of love and, amazingly, the door in my heart has become the window of my soul, a huge window upon which the sun always shines and through which I look at life with the eyes of my child...

To my son Harry, who opened the door in my heart.

[Edited at 2007-11-01 08:52]

szarotka
English to Polish
+ ...
the trick is to keep breathing Nov 5, 2007

Making the most of our time equaled sitting in the park, rolling down grassy hills or just smoking and drinking cheap wine. Nothing was more enjoyable than that, besides maybe biking around the fountain at the market square in the dead of night. In short, we specialized in all random activities normally considered a perfect waste of time. Once he is gone, it is no fun anymore.
What I miss the most is somebody to push when I am sitting on a swing.
I now have to sway my legs back and forth really hard to get up high enough.

NJenkins
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Short story Nov 5, 2007

This is the first short story I've ever written, hope it's ok.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That’s what had started it. Her mum had been in one of her foul moods, which happened regularly, and she’d told Leanne to go out and leave her alone. Leanne had seen the expression on her mum’s face, but it didn’t scare her like it used to when she was little, now it angered her. She wasn’t about to leave the house the at 11pm! Where was she supposed to go? She’d told her mother just how unreasonable she was being. Which was where it always went wrong...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Launching the first Student Short Story Contest !

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search