Miriam Hooijer (X)
Miriam Hooijer (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 08:17
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Yes please! Jan 13, 2008

Hi Sole,

I think it would be a great idea to have translation contests so we can put into practice the knowledge we are receiving as students and prepare ourselves for the labour market!

Thanks and regards,

Miriam.

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Source text in English for the contest Jan 14, 2008

Well, guyZ, we have the source text in English!

I am pasting it here (though the contest is not open yet), so that you may have a taste of it and start getting ready for the contest, but please DO NOT POST a translation here. We''ll have the platform for that ready, and translations will be anonymous (till the contest ends), so please don't use the forum for this.

The text was written by a very talented member of our co
... See more
Well, guyZ, we have the source text in English!

I am pasting it here (though the contest is not open yet), so that you may have a taste of it and start getting ready for the contest, but please DO NOT POST a translation here. We''ll have the platform for that ready, and translations will be anonymous (till the contest ends), so please don't use the forum for this.

The text was written by a very talented member of our community Mervyn Henderson http://www.proz.com/profile/83938. It is an extract of the fantastic adventures and mishaps of "Little Translator", a character that Mervyn has created (or was it the other way round?:P ) to the delight of many of us followers in the forum "Lighter side of trans/interp". If you hadn't discovered it, here's a link to the first of the stories http://www.proz.com/topic/79252 , the "birth" of Little Translator right off the University womb, and you may follow it at the forum and see the successful Little Translator he has turned into these days Enjoy!

Well, enough with the hors d'oeuvres... the main course:

The Little Translator made his way into the city centre and went into a rather upmarket café there, the Wordtown Waldorf.
“White coffee, but just a spot of lukewarm milk, barman”, he said to the waiter, placing his big envelope on the counter and fishing out the pages inside.
“What’s that?” asked the waiter.
“That? “It’s a translation tes- …” The Little Translator’s chest puffed out a little. He patted the pages a little for effect. “Oh”, he said, in a tone which he hoped was a sufficient cross between blasé and lofty, “that’s a French technical translation I’ve been commissioned to do. Very technical, in fact, yes. Some rather topic-specific vocabulary, I shouldn’t wonder. Just going to give it the once-over with a coffee here, get my ideas in order, if you will, take a decision as to a linguistic strategy.”
The waiter stared at him. “No, I didn’t hear what you said, that’s all. What was it you wanted?”
“Oh”, said the Little Translator, deflating considerably. “It was, erm, a white coffee. Yes, er, thank you, thanks ever so much …”
He walked over to a corner with his coffee - or skulked over, rather - and had a look at the text.

After five minutes reading, he was on page 7 of 12.

By this time the Little Translator was beginning to feel a horrid kind of Frightening Fear taking over his body. Yes, he could feel the cold hand of Fear clutching his stomach.
Or perhaps a bit below his stomach. He was beginning to sweat copiously, too.
“I really don’t have a clue what they’re talking about here”, he quavered to himself, reaching under his shirt and wiping the streams of sweat from his chest. “It’s in French all right, but it’s like a different language or something.”
The Little Translator read a few more pages, and laid the pages down on the table. He stared at the text, and found himself uttering that very human of phrases to himself: “I don’t know what I’m going to do …”
He had never had Translation Fear before. Professor Brookesduddy had never mentioned it.

Hope you liked it and have fun translating it!

Thanks Mervyn for letting us use your text!
Collapse

Dagmara Kuliś (X)
Dagmara Kuliś (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:17
English to Polish
+ ...
Little Translator! Jan 14, 2008

Oh my goodness! Great text to choose for 'Initiation' topic. And a great text in general - absolutely hilarious.

So time to start working on the translations. Good luck to everybody!

orangelani
orangelani  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
curious Jan 14, 2008

That's a great story, but what happens next???

[Edited at 2008-01-14 23:02]

Soledad Azcona
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it is a masterpiece ;) Jan 14, 2008

Hi all!

Well, it's great to see many people is quite amused with the discovery of our Little Translator.
For those of you who asked (or are wondering in silence) yes, Little Translator is a series of stories you may find at the "Lighter side of trans and interp" forum http://www.proz.com/forum/49.
Mervyn has been pos
... See more
Hi all!

Well, it's great to see many people is quite amused with the discovery of our Little Translator.
For those of you who asked (or are wondering in silence) yes, Little Translator is a series of stories you may find at the "Lighter side of trans and interp" forum http://www.proz.com/forum/49.
Mervyn has been posting at the forum in subsequent deliveries the adventures of the beloved LT. The link I included in the previous posting is the first one, but you may follow them all checking the topics at the forum. There must be like 12 at least.
Here I give you the link to the fourth one (one of my favs too), when he leaves the bar to meet his old professor. http://www.proz.com/topic/81397 .
If it rings any bell...

See you GuyZ!

Sole
Collapse

Dagmara Kuliś (X)
Dagmara Kuliś (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:17
English to Polish
+ ...
Rules Jan 15, 2008

I was wondering about the rules of the contest. Will they be the same as for normal contests? How many entries are needed to start voting? I am already working on my translation and it would be a pity if then it turned out there're not enough.

Soledad Azcona
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good question! Jan 16, 2008

Hi Dagmara!

It's great to know you are already working on it!

Proper rules will come when contest is open, but they will very similar to current contest at the site. As for your question, the translations can be made into any language, but language pairs that collect at least three entries are considered valid contest pairs.
So, if there are one or two entries in your pair, there won't be a competition.
We'll have to find the way to get friends and classmat
... See more
Hi Dagmara!

It's great to know you are already working on it!

Proper rules will come when contest is open, but they will very similar to current contest at the site. As for your question, the translations can be made into any language, but language pairs that collect at least three entries are considered valid contest pairs.
So, if there are one or two entries in your pair, there won't be a competition.
We'll have to find the way to get friends and classmates engage and help pairs up!

And, there won't be restrictions with regard to the number of language pairs in which you can submit entries, but of course only one entry may be made per language pair.

I am on the look for a Spanish source text, so maybe I'll be back with a new challenge for you!

Sole
Collapse

orangelani
orangelani  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Don't worry Dagmara! Jan 16, 2008

I'm going to take part in the contest (although I haven't yet started working on my translation).

And we can talk to Karol. I think he is interested, too .

Personally, I think the text is worth translating just for fun!

Ania

Maja Wojdyło
Maja Wojdyło  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
There will be even more of us! ;) Mar 1, 2008

I guess that a bunch of students from the Translation Department of the University of Gdansk would be interested in the contest as well.
Watch out - we're tough competition!

ninalo
ninalo
English to Italian
good idea Mar 20, 2008

Yes off curse!

S_Angel (X)
S_Angel (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Just wondering... Apr 11, 2008

What happened to the idea of a student contest? Are we still going to do it?

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
it's now on Apr 15, 2008

S_Angel wrote:

What happened to the idea of a student contest? Are we still going to do it?

Hello Angel

We didn't forget about the contest - it took just a bit more longer than planned to get everything ready so that the contest runs in good conditions.
It's now on, you'll find everything on the Contest thread

Have fun and good luck
CheerZ,
Anne

Juan Antonio Castán Abán
Juan Antonio Castán Abán  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Am I the only participant in this contest? Apr 27, 2008

Hi everybody, hi Sole,
I am very pleased of being able to take part in this contest, but I wonder if I`m still the only contestant up to this moment. I may have rushed into submitting my version, I don't know, I'm very busy in the final part of my last semester so Ï translated it fast and submitted it, afterwards I checked it and corrected. Rest of contestants might be waiting till the deadline, I just wonder. Can I have access to the rest of the entries or are they restricted? If they ar
... See more
Hi everybody, hi Sole,
I am very pleased of being able to take part in this contest, but I wonder if I`m still the only contestant up to this moment. I may have rushed into submitting my version, I don't know, I'm very busy in the final part of my last semester so Ï translated it fast and submitted it, afterwards I checked it and corrected. Rest of contestants might be waiting till the deadline, I just wonder. Can I have access to the rest of the entries or are they restricted? If they are not, I encourage other preborn translators to participate in the contest

[Edited at 2008-04-27 10:53]
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Entries are hidden Apr 27, 2008

Hi Juan,

You are far from being the only one to participate in the contest.
There are at the moment around 20 entries in many languages. They happen to be hidden, only staff and me can see them all.
Contestants can only see their own entry(ies) at the moment.
Good luck for the contest !

CheerZ,
Anne

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A translation contest for students

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »