Student contests!
Thread poster: Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 9, 2007

In another thread, where we were discussing a proofreading area http://www.proz.com/topic/85964, we started playing with the idea of starting student contests.

Translation contests were mentioned, essay contests also, I add now: short story contests? poetry? lyrics contests?

What do you think?

I'm sure we won't run short of ideas, as there's plenty of creative peo
... See more
In another thread, where we were discussing a proofreading area http://www.proz.com/topic/85964, we started playing with the idea of starting student contests.

Translation contests were mentioned, essay contests also, I add now: short story contests? poetry? lyrics contests?

What do you think?

I'm sure we won't run short of ideas, as there's plenty of creative people here. So..what else??
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:44
German to French
+ ...
Why not...all of them ?? Oct 9, 2007

Hey Sole Girl

The idea of contests is great - translation contest, of course, that goes without saying BUT if we organise translation contest for students members only, this may not work beacause we woudn't be enough students in given target languages - e.g. If we only are 2 for French - and this is very likely to happen - the contest isn't that interseting. So I would suggest to open to users as well ? I know that pa
... See more
Hey Sole Girl

The idea of contests is great - translation contest, of course, that goes without saying BUT if we organise translation contest for students members only, this may not work beacause we woudn't be enough students in given target languages - e.g. If we only are 2 for French - and this is very likely to happen - the contest isn't that interseting. So I would suggest to open to users as well ? I know that particpation in ProZ contests are a Members features but we are talking about the huge "interProZ" contest, right ? Maybe we could open the StudentZ ContestZ to users as well... WDYT ?
We could imagine (but that's huge) a "StudentZ Translation Open" with a prize to win - e.g. take the winners of the last 6 months and make a contest with the winners - and select the "winner of the winners". Maybe pros translators could vote on this and give their feedback ?

For the rest - well, I personally think that essays contests, as well as poetry, lyrics, etc is great... We could do all of them, on a regular basis, like e.g. every 2 weeks, so there would always be a contest running somewhere in the StudentZ Community.

We could also imagine photo contests on a given subjects, but I'm not sure that eveybody would follow. WDYT ?

Well, that's just some ideas - I had a loooong day at work and I'm throwing myself in a hot sented bath!

See ya !
CheerZ,

Anne
Collapse

Megan McLarin (X)
Megan McLarin (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
It could be fun! Oct 17, 2007

I think that contests could be a great way of getting the student membership involved. I agree that if we do translation contests, while enjoyable and challenging, it might be too hard to limit them to students and get enough in any language for comparison.
What sort of essay contests could we do?
I'm, of course, intrested primarily in literary translation, but I think that in addition to contests, it might be a great idea if we could have a recommended reading list from any country
... See more
I think that contests could be a great way of getting the student membership involved. I agree that if we do translation contests, while enjoyable and challenging, it might be too hard to limit them to students and get enough in any language for comparison.
What sort of essay contests could we do?
I'm, of course, intrested primarily in literary translation, but I think that in addition to contests, it might be a great idea if we could have a recommended reading list from any country, so that we can all come into contact with new and unfamiliar writers to expand our horizons, so to speak.
(For example, in Italian I'm mainly acquainted with the standard canon and the most famous writers of the 20th-21st centuries, but I don't know many outside of the real mainstream. What do you think?
Collapse

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some more ideas on contests Oct 17, 2007

Oh GirlZ! So many good ideas!!

Why not...all of them?

Why not?? I particularly like the idea of the "opens" and regular contests on other disciplines. We could also combine both types and select pieces that students write for essay or short story contests as the source texts for translation contests: imagine having something you wrote translated into many languages!

We could organize, throughout the year, student translation contests in different areas to cater to everybody's likings, and then have the winner in literary translation, scientific and media, just to name three. We could make these student contests for student users and members and we could also invite professionals to vote in the final stage.

As for essay witting, we could have an argumentative essay contest on a certain issue we choose - probably related to translation world?- and a reflexive essay contest would also be interesting, I think.

I also love the idea of having a photography contest. I would love to participate myself! And the idea of recommending literature...fantastic! Now... these two ideas could be joined in something I have been chewing for a while: having something like a "window to the world" space, where student can post about their countries: pictures, music, literature, cinema, history, customs, miths, everything! It would be very interesting, great fun, and a good source of information to learn more about your target language culture. But maybe that's something we could discuss in another thread, if you feel it would be interesting too.

To do something right away Megan, you could open a thread at the student forum to recommend literature. We could start at the forums, and develop it to something bigger, like a whole area, as it grows.

What do you think of all this?

I love seeing new faces around here so much! Seeing that you are willing to take the plunge with us!

And remember not to be shy, we should think big, aim high....many crazy ideas like these ones will make something really good.

Don't let the pub run dry!

S.

S_Angel (X)
S_Angel (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:44
German to Italian
+ ...
Contests and profile Jul 1, 2008

Hi everyone!
I was looking at some profiles of regular members and I saw that there was a specific section for won contests. Since the student community has contests too, I think it would be nice to have this feature in our profiles... what do you think?

[Modificato alle 2008-07-01 18:45]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Student contests!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »