Diego Tronca  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:26
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 18, 2008

Hello subtitling people,

I'm starting to use Subtitling Workshop and I'd like to work on an .stl file, but I can't seem to be able to see the subs on the video while i'm working.
Also, I'd like to link the video too the subs, so that when I change subtitle, I can see the frame related to it (like you would do in Swift or GTS).
I've checked the SW manual, but no clues (at least for novices like me!).

Can anybody help?
Maybe with a "How to see subtitles on video in Subtitle Workshop" for dummies...

Thanks
Diego Tronca

Direct link Reply with quote

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some tips Jul 18, 2008

Ciao, Diego,

Subtitle Workshop is the best program for beginners in subtitling, but it certainly has its shortcomings. I'm almost sure that its creator never expected so much success. As it is freeware, there is no money-driven continuous improvement, and no urge to outperform 'competition'.

The bottom-line is that v2.51 is perfectly adequate, even for most professional jobs, if one knows how to do the eventual tweaking on the output file, either with Windows Notepad, or with audio-only SubStation Alpha. There is also the chance to use it just for translation and spotting, and thereafter do all the fancy stuff in e.g. Adobe Encore or Ulead DVD Workshop.

Urusoft released a (beta) v4, supposedly re-written from scratch. I tried it and got the impression that some of the v2.51 features still have to be developed and implemented there.

Okay, let's deal with your questions, assuming v2.51.

SW does not display subs in real time like some other programs. After you have saved your subs file, you can watch the subtitled video, but not the way it will come out. The reason is that you may have totally different settings for Settings | Video Preview | Subtitles and Settings | Output settings.

To go to the starting frame of any sub, all you have to do is to double-click on it (in the time columns, not the text one), if you have set it so in Settings | Video preview | Double click in a subtitle. Other options are available.

HTH.

Diego Tronca  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:26
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about Ulead DVD Workshop... Jul 18, 2008

Ciao José,

Thanks for your answer.
I've been working for a while as a subtitler (actually, as a translator of already time coded subs), and I've always used Swift. Now that I have to give it back to the company that lent it to me, I was wondering if there was any kind of sofwtare that displayed subs in real time (it's all I need it for, no time coding for now).
What about ULEAD DVD Workshop?

I can get it easily and it doesn't cost much, not as much as Swift or Wincaps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to see subtitles on video in Subtitle Workshop

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search