Thread poster: SilviuM
SilviuM
SilviuM
Romania
Local time: 11:40
Romanian to English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2008

Now, who among us still abides by the Law of Punctuation, still being used when translating - adapting a... novel, let's say(!)? Who, for example, STILL does ROMANIAN subtitles like so?

(Ro.) "DE CE nu te-ai uitat in ambele sensuri inainte sa..?!"

Instead of...

(Ro.) "De ce nu te-ai uitat in ambele sensuri inainte sa... ?!"

So, in a given suspended phrase, what do you do? Do you place THREE suspension points or only TWO with (if t
... See more
Now, who among us still abides by the Law of Punctuation, still being used when translating - adapting a... novel, let's say(!)? Who, for example, STILL does ROMANIAN subtitles like so?

(Ro.) "DE CE nu te-ai uitat in ambele sensuri inainte sa..?!"

Instead of...

(Ro.) "De ce nu te-ai uitat in ambele sensuri inainte sa... ?!"

So, in a given suspended phrase, what do you do? Do you place THREE suspension points or only TWO with (if the context - the "tone", e.g. - allows it) some extra-marks, such as... a question one or an exclamation point even, but with NO spaces in between?(!)

And what do you have to say on dashes? HOW do you use them in a text translated - adapted into Romanian, (again) especially?

Do you STILL type it like so?

(Ro.) "Nu mi-am dat seama ca sunt binevenit aici si n-am mai indraznit..."

Or LIKE SO now?..

(Ro.) "Nu mi-am dat seama ca sunt bine-venit aici si n-am mai indraznit..."

[Editat la 2008-07-28 22:21]
Collapse

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Romanian punctuation Jul 29, 2008

As far as I know, in Romanian, there are always three suspension points, not two or four (sometimes in English subs you have four dots and you need to delete one in Romanian). Also, in Romanian, other punctuation is placed before the suspension points, not after it, without spaces. (i.e. afdsgfd!?...)

I recommend G. Beldescu "Punctuaţia în limba română", Ed. Grammar, 2004.

PS: Binevenit is one word <
... See more
As far as I know, in Romanian, there are always three suspension points, not two or four (sometimes in English subs you have four dots and you need to delete one in Romanian). Also, in Romanian, other punctuation is placed before the suspension points, not after it, without spaces. (i.e. afdsgfd!?...)

I recommend G. Beldescu "Punctuaţia în limba română", Ed. Grammar, 2004.

PS: Binevenit is one word
When in doubt, always check DEXonline or your hard copy spelling dictionary.

Good luck!
Collapse

SilviuM
SilviuM
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Odd... Jul 29, 2008

I don't understand WHY do you believe that I AM THE ONE who can't / doesn't know how to spell right in Romanian(!)
Now, I asked YOU, the current Romanian subtitlers class, if YOU know how to subtitle according to the logical rules of punctuation and orthography; correctly.
So, why did I do it? Because, as much as I hate it, I see only by-the-ear subtitles done by the current Romanian subtitlers class; not by ALL of the
... See more
I don't understand WHY do you believe that I AM THE ONE who can't / doesn't know how to spell right in Romanian(!)
Now, I asked YOU, the current Romanian subtitlers class, if YOU know how to subtitle according to the logical rules of punctuation and orthography; correctly.
So, why did I do it? Because, as much as I hate it, I see only by-the-ear subtitles done by the current Romanian subtitlers class; not by ALL of them, but by most... And this ain't an affront to YOU, Prozians, but a signal alarm for this situation.

N.B. 1: When having an interrupted, yet interrogative and/or exclamatory sentence, we place the question and/or the exclamation point AFTER the 2 (two!) suspension points in order to give us up to 4 (four!) marks, NOT up to 5 (five) according to the scope and/or "tone" of that sentence. If it's interrogative and/or asked on a exclamatory tone, we place the question mark first, the exclamatory second and maybe two suspension points. And, yes, with NO spaces in between the marks and the points.

N.B. 2: When having a whispered one, we place those marks BEFORE the suspension points, of course + with NO spaces in between those marks and the two points.

N.B. 3: Let's not forget about the Kantian imperative - (non-categorical - "Teoria limbajului" methiniks, PhD. Andra Vasilescu -) sentences also(!) and as for "bine-venit", it's NOT "binevenit" because it's a composed and non-jointed adjective. Is it correct "non-jointed"?

CE E NOU ÎN D.O.O.M. 2

- Academia Română, Institutul de Lingvistică „Iorgu Iordan - Al. Rosetti”,
Dicţionarul ortografic, ortoepic şi morfologic al limbii române.
Ediţia a II-a revăzută şi adăugită, Univers Enciclopedic, Bucureşti, 2005, coordonator: Ioana Vintilă-Rădulescu -

SCRIEREA CUVINTELOR COMPUSE

II. Se scriu cu cratimă:

- adjectivele compuse nesudate cu structura adverb + adjectiv (adesea provenit din participiu), când compusul prezintă o diferenţă de sens faţă de cuvintele de bază

"bine-venit : 'oportun, agreat' "

* 01 septembrie, 2006 *

http://www.revistanoinu.com/Ce-e-nou-in-DOOM-2.html

Who knows what you'll say about me next!..

[Editat la 2008-07-29 14:01]

[Editat la 2008-07-29 16:53]
Collapse

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
errr? Jul 29, 2008

You asked, I answered. As to why you asked, that's your business, not mine
Lighten up, don't take things so personally when they are not!

What kind of subtitlers are you referring to, I have not seen such errors on TV (but then again, I do not watch much TV lately)? Subtitling follows normal punctuation or grammar rules, with very rare and minor
... See more
You asked, I answered. As to why you asked, that's your business, not mine
Lighten up, don't take things so personally when they are not!

What kind of subtitlers are you referring to, I have not seen such errors on TV (but then again, I do not watch much TV lately)? Subtitling follows normal punctuation or grammar rules, with very rare and minor exceptions when requested by client style guides - in my experience some style guides are more detailed than others.
Collapse

SilviuM
SilviuM
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Watching TV lately... Jul 29, 2008

Well, I do because, unfortunately, situation allows it, and I notice each and every single day such blunders. So, my guess is that they're done for the... Joe public, as the Brits would say. I mean, you don't see ANY type of... language humour outlining between parenthesis in the target - language by making a linguistic reference to the origin - language, let's say, like in the example that I gave at some point earlier, and at whi... See more
Well, I do because, unfortunately, situation allows it, and I notice each and every single day such blunders. So, my guess is that they're done for the... Joe public, as the Brits would say. I mean, you don't see ANY type of... language humour outlining between parenthesis in the target - language by making a linguistic reference to the origin - language, let's say, like in the example that I gave at some point earlier, and at which nobody answered, with The Black Adder's trial:

"Witchsmeller: Milk? What did you mean by `milk'?

Edmund: I meant *milk*! Bloody *milk*!!!

Witchsmeller: BLOODY MILK!!! It was a mixture of milk and blood!
"

into something like this...

"Lapte? Ce vrei sa spui cu "lapte"?

Adica lapte, LAPTE afurisit (bloody)!

INSANGERAT (bloody)! Era un amestec de lapte si sange (blood)!
"

The Black Adder, E05 - "The Witchsmeller Pursuivant"

Also, when translating - adapting "The Weakest Link" into Romanian, let's say, the consonants and/or the vowels in English that are at the start of every word that needs to be identified via some sort of game, CAN be translated into Romanian like so:

"ANNE
Corect. Stan, in scriere, care e a doua litera din cuvantul “cor” (“chorus”), insemnand partea din cantec in care auditoriul e incurajat sa se alature?

STAN
“R” (en., “U”)?

ANNE
“O” (en., “H”).
"

These... generalised styles, in conclusion, are VERY simplistic and I can't fathom why. Is it because the target - viewer has NO patience in reading what's between parenthesis? It's the Joe public SO... "retreated"?

I hope not.

[Editat la 2008-07-29 16:35]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Punctuation and... points of view (P. I). To Romanians ONLY(!) :P

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »