Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:12
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Sep 17, 2008

Does anyone in the UK know how much is tha standard pricing for subtitle? I was told that in Europe, the price is around 0.50-2 euro per subttile.
Thanks

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-15 18:09 GMT]

Georgia Lauzi
Georgia Lauzi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:12
Italian to English
+ ...
London based company pricing Sep 17, 2008

Hi.
I work for a London based company that does subtitling for festivals.
I don't know if they pay the same amount to UK citizens, I'm Italian and they pay me 0.26 Euros per subtitle.
Hope it helps.
Bye,
Georgia

[Edited at 2008-09-17 13:46]

Gina Ferlisi
Gina Ferlisi
Member (2008)
Italian to English
London pricing Sep 17, 2008

I also worked for the same company as Georgia and they paid me the same price even if low, I think they pay the same price for English and Italian citizens without distinction of where they live.

Bye

Gina

Lenah Susianty
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
why many people don't want to reveal the rate? Sep 18, 2008

Thanks Georgia and Gina. I am just wondering why it is so difficult to find out about the standard rate of subtitling in this country. Surely it i s not a secret?

Lenah

CynthiaPiaud
CynthiaPiaud  Identity Verified
France
English to French
it depends... Nov 5, 2008

Hi Lenah,

Prices for subtitling in the uk tend to vary depending on various factors.

Some agencies prefer to pay a "per 1,000 source words" rate (they extract the text from a spotting list), which for corporate material tends to be more profitable.

Others prefer to pay a "per minute of programme" rate. In my experience, that rate varies between £4 and £6 per minute of programme.

The "per subtitle rate" I have seen more in other countries.
... See more
Hi Lenah,

Prices for subtitling in the uk tend to vary depending on various factors.

Some agencies prefer to pay a "per 1,000 source words" rate (they extract the text from a spotting list), which for corporate material tends to be more profitable.

Others prefer to pay a "per minute of programme" rate. In my experience, that rate varies between £4 and £6 per minute of programme.

The "per subtitle rate" I have seen more in other countries.

It also depends on whether there is a script or not (no script should be charged slightly more), if a spotting list (i.e. a list of the subtitles in the original language, bearing time codes) is provided and if you work directly from a Word template, for instance. You may be asked to carry out the whole subtitling process, including spotting on your subtitling software + translating + "simulating", i.e. checking that everything fits and is correct.

Basically, you will find out the joys of all that once you start doing it (if you haven't already).

Good luck!

Cynthia
Collapse

CynthiaPiaud
CynthiaPiaud  Identity Verified
France
English to French
also Nov 5, 2008

May I add that 0.26 euro per subtitle is a total rip off!!!!

Lenah Susianty
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
done it Nov 5, 2008

Thanks Cynthia! I've done it actually. so what I did since I couldn't at that time get a clear idea how much to charge, I asked my friend in France. she referred me to a website where translators in France agreed that the standard pricing should be between 0.50 to 2 euro per subtitle. I was paid 1.10 euro per subtitle. (I was given the script and basically what I did only fill in boxes with the translations)

Alexander Shchekotin (X)
Alexander Shchekotin (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:12
English to Russian
+ ...
Aleso new to subtitling Jan 26, 2009

What would "per subtitle" mean? How many words/chars does a subtitle contain?

Thierry Renon
Thierry Renon  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
0,26 euro per subtitle?! Apr 16, 2009

Agree with Cynthia, this is a total rip off!

0,26 euro x (say about) 500 subtitles = 130 euros for a 1 1/2 hour film, which takes about a week to translate. And if you declare tax/social contributions in France, that's about 65 euros left... (not even talking about the fact that you need to take into account your unpaid holidays, contribute to a pension scheme, buy a computer, etc.)

Sorry the following reference is in French, but this is more in line with prices for the
... See more
Agree with Cynthia, this is a total rip off!

0,26 euro x (say about) 500 subtitles = 130 euros for a 1 1/2 hour film, which takes about a week to translate. And if you declare tax/social contributions in France, that's about 65 euros left... (not even talking about the fact that you need to take into account your unpaid holidays, contribute to a pension scheme, buy a computer, etc.)

Sorry the following reference is in French, but this is more in line with prices for the French market.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-titres
Le tarif de 3,9€ le sous-titre (avril 2009), recommandé par le SNAC (Syndicat national des Auteurs et des Compositeurs, dont dépendent les traducteurs de l'audiovisuel), est largement respecté.
(and for DVDs)
Le tarif recommandé par le SNAC (2,8€ le sous-titre [avril 2009]) est respecté lorsque les traducteurs parviennent à traiter directement avec les commanditaires.
Collapse

OffMag
OffMag  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Real rates Nov 15, 2009

Let me know if you get 2,8€ per subtitle. That's wishful thinking by the SNAC.

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Indeed Nov 16, 2009

It all depends on your working pairs, on the type of material, and if you work directly or for an agency.
In my main pair (JP>FR), you can expect up to 4 EUR per subtitle if you work on a blockbuster directly for the production company. For a DVD release, you can expect around 2 EUR/subtitle.
The less I was ever offered was 400 EUR for a 90 minutes movie, and that was through a subtitling company.

I have no idea about the UK, though...

[Modifié le 2009-11-16 07
... See more
It all depends on your working pairs, on the type of material, and if you work directly or for an agency.
In my main pair (JP>FR), you can expect up to 4 EUR per subtitle if you work on a blockbuster directly for the production company. For a DVD release, you can expect around 2 EUR/subtitle.
The less I was ever offered was 400 EUR for a 90 minutes movie, and that was through a subtitling company.

I have no idea about the UK, though...

[Modifié le 2009-11-16 07:21 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Subtitling Rates] subttile pricing in UK

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »