Thread poster: Marie Gouy (X)
Marie Gouy (X)
Marie Gouy (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:42
English to French
Mar 16, 2009

Hello,

As part of a university management project, I need to create a quote based on a realistic market price for a service that includes translating + spotting + proofreading.

Therefore I would like to get information from freelance subtitlers about their rates.

- Do you tend to charge per programme minute or per caption?
- How much do you charge per program minute?
- And finally, when do you apply discounts and mimimum charges?

... See more
Hello,

As part of a university management project, I need to create a quote based on a realistic market price for a service that includes translating + spotting + proofreading.

Therefore I would like to get information from freelance subtitlers about their rates.

It would really help if you took 5 minutes to answer! Thanks!

[Modifié le 2009-03-16 14:11 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-16 14:47 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Some info Mar 16, 2009

[quote]Marie Gouy wrote:

Always per minute of total playing time. If they say, e.g. it has only 4 of the total 15 minutes where subtitling (or anything else) is required, I ask them to crop these 4 minutes and send me nothing else. Otherwise I'll have to check every single second to see whether there is anything that requires my work.

Currency here is Brazilian Reais. Use http://www.x-rates.com/d/BRL/table.html to convert into anything more convenient.

Translation (or transcription for CC) = BRL 15/minute (each - xlate or xscribe)
Spotting = BRL 5/minute
Burning = BRL 5/minute

This includes, if necessary, downloading and file conversion, even if it's on analog VHS tape (as long as it's NTSC). The minimum (below) covers these at no extra charge.

My discounts work like some airlines' mileage programs. Frequent flyers get a freebie now and then. I usually offer simple DVD authoring/burning at no extra charge to anyone.

Minimum playing time is 15 minutes. If it's less, it will be 15 minutes.

Final note: I work mostly (if not wholly) for the corporate video industry, not TV/movies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Subtitling Rates] Some questions about subtitling rates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »