[Subtitling Rates] How much should I charge for technical / financial transaltion of subs?
Thread poster: fionainrome
fionainrome
Local time: 15:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 9, 2009

I have been contacted by a company in the UK, they asked about my rates and then sent me a test to do (short , but not that short, it consists of four parts).
I gave them my rates (4 euro per min) before I was sent the test.
When I read it I realised it's mostly really complicated tachnical and financial language, should I raise my fee? How much would you usually charge to translate that kind of text?

Many thanks.

[თემის სათაური შეასწორა საიტის ადმინისტრაციამ ან მოდერატორმა. 2009-04-09 17:37 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-09 17:38 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
same here Apr 23, 2009

Ciao Fiona.
Probably you have already answered your question yourself, but - one should be flexible and establish the negotiating range. Let's say, the initial price is $4 and you're willing to get ~$8. Very often you both end up at ~$6. In our culture, splitting the difference seems fair.
Anyway, I have two rates - 'standard' and 'job'. The Former is an initial price and the latter is a bit higher after seeing the job. But don't be shy - ask for more and stay sensible.

You *might* just get it

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Subtitling Rates] How much should I charge for technical / financial transaltion of subs?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search