Thread poster: Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Oct 4, 2009

Hi everyone!

I have been doing subtitles translation every month for over a year now, most of it for the same client. Since I really enjoy this kind of work, I have been looking for training opportunities to help me finding other clients in this area. Unfortunately, there is nothing going on WA, so I have been looking at online training opportunities. Not all options are costly, some are even affordable, but it's really hard to know what they are really worth. I would really appreci
... See more
Hi everyone!

I have been doing subtitles translation every month for over a year now, most of it for the same client. Since I really enjoy this kind of work, I have been looking for training opportunities to help me finding other clients in this area. Unfortunately, there is nothing going on WA, so I have been looking at online training opportunities. Not all options are costly, some are even affordable, but it's really hard to know what they are really worth. I would really appreciate if anyone could talk about their experience with online training in subtitling.

I am not really in a hurry, so if I do not find anything convincing online, I might consider taking a course in a couple of years, either in France or in Japan. However, I have not found a French school with Japanese or a Japanese school with French. I suppose the training has more to do witth technique than with the language itself, but if you have heard of something, just let me know...

http://geraldineoudin.com
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Try contacting Carol Oct 4, 2009

Have a look at http://www.scribatraducoes.com.br/en/carol

AFAIK she lives between Brazil and Canada, I did a cameo appearance at one of her live courses here in Sao Paulo, and it seems that she has now an online version too, though I'm not sure if it's available in both PT and EN.

Yes, the part of video translation that can actually be taug
... See more
Have a look at http://www.scribatraducoes.com.br/en/carol

AFAIK she lives between Brazil and Canada, I did a cameo appearance at one of her live courses here in Sao Paulo, and it seems that she has now an online version too, though I'm not sure if it's available in both PT and EN.

Yes, the part of video translation that can actually be taught is mostly about the technique. Of course there you learn the principles that should guide your talent. If you have none, it won't work.

To illustrate with my personal case, in 1987 a client gave me the opportunity to try translating a video for lip-sync dubbing. Amazingly, that very same video, dubbed exactly as I translated it then, is still on sale. I just watched how they did it, and developed my own method, no formal training at all. The rest is history. To illustrate what it turned into, the list of videos I translated for that same client alone ever since may be seen at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/sample.html .

I stayed out of subtitling until 2004, when another client needed some technical videos translated from PT into EN, and they chose me as the only local option available for that job. So I adapted my technique for subtitling, and learned most of what I needed to get started by reading online material, and keenly observing what should be the desired results on cable TV.

It took me less than a couple of years to master the technique, as well as to realize that with the shift from VHS to DVD, my computer already had all the hardware I needed to actually burn the subs and author rather complex interactive DVDs. Most of it I learned from tutorials at http://www.videohelp.com and by practice.

Talent is a funny thing; sometimes there isn't enough for actually doing the whole nine yards. Again, giving a personal example, my musical talent is somewhat limited. At age 9, I studied playing the piano for 9 months, and gave up. I'd never play to an acceptable levem. Meanwhile, a close friend of mine made it great. Almost half a century later, in spite of being an accomplished oncologist, now and then he still gives a Beethoven concert before a audience.

Nevertheless, the limited talent can take someone up to a certain point. For a while I had a new hobby, some 8 years ago. I found thouroughly accurate, but appallingly dull MIDI files on the web, with the all-time songs I liked most. So I downloaded, re-arranged and re-orchestrated them on my computer, and recorded some 10 CDs. Once I had guests at home, and one of these CDs found its way into the player. Suddenly, a friend asked me, Hey, what orchestra is this? Never heard anything so wonderfully played! I'd like to buy ALL their CDs!" I call it The Pentium Orchestra though my processor was from AMD.

This should explain why many fellow translators only translate video for subbing, a lesser number of them also spots the subs, and just a few go all the way into a subtitled DVD. I've been told that many people who only spot subtitles have an extremely limited knowledge of the source language, and most of the folks who only turn some video into a DVD are monoglots par excellence.

Therefore, it's a matter of determining what part of the process your talents/skills can cover, what your clients need, and find the overlap. I work for several video producers that just want the translation, they'll take it from there. Others want spotting as well, while most non-video-producing clients want a complete turn-key service.
Collapse

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 4, 2009

Thanks José for the link and for your long response.
I will certainly try to contact Carol when I have a bit more time.
I do pretty much everything you mentionned (except for the musical side of the story, since I already know I have no musical talent at all, so I don't even try) : even thought I get all my subtitling jobs through the same client, requirements vary.

The reason why I was looking for training is not that much to learn about the technique, because
... See more
Thanks José for the link and for your long response.
I will certainly try to contact Carol when I have a bit more time.
I do pretty much everything you mentionned (except for the musical side of the story, since I already know I have no musical talent at all, so I don't even try) : even thought I get all my subtitling jobs through the same client, requirements vary.

The reason why I was looking for training is not that much to learn about the technique, because I don't think it's rocket science. I would just like to have a formal qualification to make it easier to find other clients...I suppose networking is really the key, but more qualification never hurts, right?

http://geraldineoudin.com

[Modifié le 2009-10-04 13:47 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for training opportunities

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »