Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Subtitling English Film in Spanish
Thread poster: BJI
BJI
BJI
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Apr 5, 2012

Thanks again for your input.

I have cleared the rights to all the publishing and the master rights of the songs but I'm not aware of anything in my agreements that mentions subtitles.

I will check with my legal advisor but continue to transcribe them in the meantime.

One thing's for certain - you guys do a fantastic job. It is taking me ages but I'm 60/93 done now.

BJI
BJI
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU EVERYONE Apr 28, 2012

Thanks for your help.

I am delighted to say we got my film subtitled and screened in Madrid in the marvelous Cineteca.

I used Belle Nuit (http://www.belle-nuit.com/subtitler/) software to create my English subtitles (the first time I've subtitled anything). It was very stable and handled my 93 minute HD documentary with ease. I had a total of 1300 cards which I exported as
... See more
Thanks for your help.

I am delighted to say we got my film subtitled and screened in Madrid in the marvelous Cineteca.

I used Belle Nuit (http://www.belle-nuit.com/subtitler/) software to create my English subtitles (the first time I've subtitled anything). It was very stable and handled my 93 minute HD documentary with ease. I had a total of 1300 cards which I exported as TIFF and a Final Cut Pro XML file which was imported and rendered to a low-res version for reference.

This was then sent to Spain with a text, time-coded copy of the subtitles.

Once translated I had some corrections and once completed the rest was easy.

No-one complained about the titles and people laughed appropriately at the correct times!

No doubt I could have got better results by paying a pro but I'd like to thank you all for your help. You have a great community here and I'm grateful that this dilettante was allowed to join for a little while.

All the best!

Jim

[Edited at 2012-04-28 23:22 GMT]
Collapse

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 11:10
English to French
Wow... Apr 29, 2012

BJI wrote:
my 93 minute HD documentary (...) I had a total of 1300 cards

That's a lot of subtitles for a 90 minute documentary, especially if you chose not to translate some or all of the song lyrics...

Gabriela Espasandin
Gabriela Espasandin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:10
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
In my experience Jan 23, 2013

Hello, I have subtitled documentaries before and I would be glad to show them to you and discuss the process I did to get there. I hope this helps you.

Gabriela

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling English Film in Spanish

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »