toffee1
toffee1
Sri Lanka
Local time: 20:03
English to Sinhala (Sinhalese)
+ ...
Jun 20, 2012

Hi,
I am from sri lanka. I am specialized in subtitling. At the moment I receive a low quality time coded video from the subtitling studio. I prepare a .srt file with reference to the time codes. The studio people get my subs on the "captured avi original", that they receive from the tv station.
I am just wondering as to whether I could bypass the subtitling studio and get it burnt on the captured avi.
I intend to do the following
(1) obtain the captured avi from the tv
... See more
Hi,
I am from sri lanka. I am specialized in subtitling. At the moment I receive a low quality time coded video from the subtitling studio. I prepare a .srt file with reference to the time codes. The studio people get my subs on the "captured avi original", that they receive from the tv station.
I am just wondering as to whether I could bypass the subtitling studio and get it burnt on the captured avi.
I intend to do the following
(1) obtain the captured avi from the tv station ( on a portable hard disk may be)
(2) write subs on aegisub
(3) save it on .ass or .ssa format
(4) get it burnt on virtual dub - I plan to use the option with no compression

will this produce a high quality copy, suitable for broadcast ?
or will this scheme fail?

I am trying to do this because I have found out that they are paying only about 1/6 th of the total they are earning to the subtitle writer. I honestly feel that I am doing the hardest job on this work flow.

Since I cannot change the system, I am compelled to think of this option.

Can yo suggest and alternative if this scheme might not work ?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

starting a subtitling facility

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »