Free software for surtitling / supertitling
Thread poster: nova-subtitles
nova-subtitles
nova-subtitles
Local time: 15:48
English to French
Oct 28, 2012

Something that might be of interest to people hanging around these forums:

We have developed a convenient little software to project subtitles (or "supertitles" / "surtitles" / "softitles" as they say...) in Cinema Nova in Brussels, and it's freely available on our website:

... See more
Something that might be of interest to people hanging around these forums:

We have developed a convenient little software to project subtitles (or "supertitles" / "surtitles" / "softitles" as they say...) in Cinema Nova in Brussels, and it's freely available on our website:

FR: http://www.nova-cinema.org/spip.php?article10453
EN: http://www.nova-cinema.org/spip.php?article10454

It can be used to project basic text files or SRT files, which have timecodes (so it can run automatically). Venues that show films or any kind of show that requires surtitling will find it useful. The setup is basic (you just plug the computer to a video projector) and many settings can be tweaked according to specific needs.
Translators and live subtitlers can also use it for training or to check the flow of a file.

It's not perfect (yet!) but it's perfectly usable, at least under Windows and Linux (it should work on Mac but we've never tried).

By the way, we have a newer version on the way and lots of ideas on how to improve it, but there are some issues, the development is slow our coding abilities are limited. So this is also a cry for help, if someone out there who knows enough about C++ and Qt libraries is interested in giving us a hand. Don't hesitate to contact us.
Collapse

nova-subtitles
nova-subtitles
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Qstit - software to project and manipulate surtitles live Jul 9, 2013

Quick update: we have a new website for our free surtitling program, with details and download instructions:
http://subtitles.nova-cinema.org

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Sounds great! Jul 10, 2013

Thank you for the link. I wish I had known about your software when I was asked to provide subtitles for a film festival. Too bad it hasn't been tested on Mac systems, though, which is what I currently use for subtitling and rendering... Thanks any way for this. I will certainly keep that in mind next time.

nova-subtitles
nova-subtitles
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Mac Jul 10, 2013

Hello,
As a matter of fact, I just updated the Mac version downloadable on our website today.
I always run it to see if it looks OK, but don't really use it so I can say there's not a problem hiding somewhere...
I just noticed the fonts behave differently (you'll need to resize the lines after changing fonts, there are too small for some reason), but I guess if you test it a bit before using it in front of an audience it should be OK.

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you so much! Jul 12, 2013

I'll download it. If I have a chance to test it, I'll tell you how it goes

nova-subtitles wrote:

Hello,
As a matter of fact, I just updated the Mac version downloadable on our website today.
I always run it to see if it looks OK, but don't really use it so I can say there's not a problem hiding somewhere...
I just noticed the fonts behave differently (you'll need to resize the lines after changing fonts, there are too small for some reason), but I guess if you test it a bit before using it in front of an audience it should be OK.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free software for surtitling / supertitling

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »