How to calculate words for subtitling project
Thread poster: Anai Betancourt
Anai Betancourt
Anai Betancourt  Identity Verified
Guatemala
Local time: 15:31
English to Spanish
Nov 4, 2013

I am new to this, so probably my question has been repeatedly coming up in this forum, so please, bear with me: a client is asking me for a quote to translate audiovisuals from his website through the use of subtitles.

My question is, how do I calculate the number of words to be translated in an audiovisual? Is there a standard number of words per minute of audiovisual? Please help!

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
No standard number Nov 5, 2013

But subtitles are usually calculated in minutes, anyway. You need to preview some footage.

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
How do I get paid for a job I don't know how to do? Nov 5, 2013

Anai Betancourt wrote:
My question is, how do I calculate the number of words to be translated in an audiovisual? Is there a standard number of words per minute of audiovisual? Please help!

If you were a trained translator for the audiovisual, you wouldn't ask such a question... Of course, there is no answer to that, it all depends on what you are translating : corporate stuff, fiction, interviews, documentaries, etc. Moreover, a subtitle can contain one word to two full sentences.
My advice : don't take the job if you have no clue how to rate (and do) it. It will probably take you too much time to deliver the file for the job to be lucrative.

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I have to agree with Sylvano. Nov 5, 2013

Anyway, we've discussed this a number of times. You can check just an example of a recent similar post http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/257983-subtitles_in_srt_files_productivity_and_word_rate.html

See my reply named "My two cents". That's what I would reply to you as well.

Ciao

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to calculate words for subtitling project

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »