Thread poster: JoanneDE
JoanneDE
JoanneDE

Local time: 15:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2013

Hi,
Please, somebody help me. I am beginner to subtitling translation, but I've done some English/Spanish subtitling for an agency that lend me their software, told me the format and the file type they want it in. I just received my first offer from a direct customer in the US that is doing a documentary and asked me to do English/English subtitles but only for the main character who is a special needs kid that doesn't speak english very well and they want me to give them an answer on the
... See more
Hi,
Please, somebody help me. I am beginner to subtitling translation, but I've done some English/Spanish subtitling for an agency that lend me their software, told me the format and the file type they want it in. I just received my first offer from a direct customer in the US that is doing a documentary and asked me to do English/English subtitles but only for the main character who is a special needs kid that doesn't speak english very well and they want me to give them an answer on the following:

1. What is the average rate for subtitling in the US in English/English and English/Spanish? In my case, do I charge by minute or word since i'm only subtitling the main character? Does it include any kind of tax if you live outside the US?

2. Any format I need to keep in mind aside from the 33 characters per line and the 6 seconds max on screen? Font, font size?

3. Do I encode/paste the subtitles to the video (to be clear, I'm not talking about the timigs of the subtitles)? Do I hand over a .srt document in Subtitle Workshop or .avi video file using the hardsubs in Aegisub? Or does it have to be in a DVD format? If so, which one and with what software can I make it with?

4. Any other consideration that I need to have in mind while subtitling English/English?

Thank you all for your precious help!
Joanne

[Edited at 2013-11-24 03:07 GMT]
Collapse

Selvi Saroinsong
Selvi Saroinsong  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 02:43
English to Indonesian
Use the forum search and Google search Nov 25, 2013

Hi Joanne,

You can use the forum search and find answers to your question immediately.

Rate from agencies are EUR 3-15 or USD 1-6 the last time I check the forum.

If you do everything yourself (transcribe, timecoding, translate) charge on the higher range.
If they transcribe and/or timecode for you, you may want to quote lower or not, depends on you.

Assess your productivit
... See more
Hi Joanne,

You can use the forum search and find answers to your question immediately.

Rate from agencies are EUR 3-15 or USD 1-6 the last time I check the forum.

If you do everything yourself (transcribe, timecoding, translate) charge on the higher range.
If they transcribe and/or timecode for you, you may want to quote lower or not, depends on you.

Assess your productivity and your time's worth, you should get your rate.

I am not sure why no. 2-4 are something your client would ask to you, those questions are things you should ask the client.

On deliverables (video and subtitle format, font, style and encoding), you should ask the client what they want or what hardware do they have so you can adjust.

You are offering a solution, you must ask what they want so you can adjust to their expectation and deliver a good service.
Collapse

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 22:43
Estonian to English
+ ...
ask a lot Nov 26, 2013

The company is clearly a beginner in subtitling, so you can ask for a lot of money, as they apparently have no idea what they are doing and it seems to be a one-off project for them.

English-English transcription/subtitling is generally handled in India or the Philippines.
Industry rates are something like USD 1 per minute. It is often an automated process only reviewed and corrected by humans.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for English/English subtitling

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »