Thread poster: Bernadette Vincent-De heyder
Bernadette Vincent-De heyder
Cambodia
Local time: 14:35
English to French
Feb 19, 2015

Hi Again,

Trying to import a .txt document in Aegisub with French text, what should I choose in the long list of character set?

Thank you
B.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:35
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Feb 19, 2015

bernade wrote:

Hi Again,

Trying to import a .txt document in Aegisub with French text, what should I choose in the long list of character set?

Thank you
B.

Unicode or Central European.

Cambodia
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
not working Feb 19, 2015

None work, and I keep getting the following error message:

"Error loading file:

One or more character could not be converted to the selected target encoding and the version of
iconv Aegisub was built with doesn't have useful fallbacks. For best results, please build Aegisub
using recent version of GNU iconv."

Which is Chinese to me….

Thanks

bernade wrote:

Hi Again,

Thank you
B.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Feb 19, 2015

bernade wrote:

"Error loading file:

One or more character could not be converted to the selected target encoding and the version of
iconv Aegisub was built with doesn't have useful fallbacks. For best results, please build Aegisub

Which is Chinese to me….

Thanks

bernade wrote:

Hi Again,

Thank you
B.

Hm. What you can do is just open Aegisub, click File → New subtitles, and then just copy and paste the lines from your text file directly into the program (all at once).

Cambodia
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
but... Feb 19, 2015

It doesn't really put them in lines in the grid though… or did I misunderstood what you wrote?

B.
[
quote]Max Deryagin wrote:

bernade wrote:

"Error loading file:

Which is Chinese to me….

Thanks

bernade wrote:

Hi Again,

Thank you
B.

Hm. What you can do is just open Aegisub, click File → New subtitles, and then just copy and paste the lines from your text file directly into the program (all at once). [/quote]

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Feb 19, 2015

Well, if the text in your file is not split into lines and is simply a wall of text, how is the program supposed to know how to split them correctly?

Some professional tools (e.g. WinCAPS Qu4ntum and EZTitles) have functionality for automatic splitting, but expecting the same from a free tool is unreasonable.

Cambodia
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
but it is... Feb 20, 2015

Max, I know I'm a bit thick, but not that thick. My text is split into lines, with the name of the actor and a : afterwards. It works when it is in English, just doesn't seem to work when I have French accents. So I removed all the accents and it still didn't work. So I did something I had noticed before, I hit return again at the end of each line, and then it worked… It's that it is time consuming when you don't understand why ... See more
Max, I know I'm a bit thick, but not that thick. My text is split into lines, with the name of the actor and a : afterwards. It works when it is in English, just doesn't seem to work when I have French accents. So I removed all the accents and it still didn't work. So I did something I had noticed before, I hit return again at the end of each line, and then it worked… It's that it is time consuming when you don't understand why it works sometimes and why it doesn't at other times…

Thanks
B.

Max Deryagin wrote:

Well, if the text in your file is not split into lines and is simply a wall of text, how is the program supposed to know how to split them correctly?

Some professional tools (e.g. WinCAPS Qu4ntum and EZTitles) have functionality for automatic splitting, but expecting the same from a free tool is unreasonable.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
One trick I use for unexplainable font phenomena Feb 20, 2015

I came to subtitling from the translation for dubbing realm.

I first translate from the video using Express Scribe, using the proper "mindset" for dubbing or for subtitling. For dubbing, I use MS Word, as that's the required script file format nowadays. For subtitling, I use the Windows Notepad, because using a monospace font, auto line breaks, and setting the window width properly makes is very easy to keep each sub within the proper size.

The Notepad gets me a TXT fil
... See more

I first translate from the video using Express Scribe, using the proper "mindset" for dubbing or for subtitling. For dubbing, I use MS Word, as that's the required script file format nowadays. For subtitling, I use the Windows Notepad, because using a monospace font, auto line breaks, and setting the window width properly makes is very easy to keep each sub within the proper size.

The Notepad gets me a TXT file, which Subtitle Workshop supposedly reads, however this causes font problems with accents and the C-cedilla.

My trick is to open that Notepad TXT file with Media Subtitler, and then save it to the format I'll be using, i.e. SSA, ASS, SRT, whatever. It will warn me that in/out times haven't been set, but I don't care. Then Subtitle Workshop opens it exactly as it should be.

Maybe the same will occur with Aegisub.

I've included this quick step as a routine in my workflow for so long, that I don't remember exactly the problems I'd have without doing it. I tried time-spotting with Media Subtitler, didn't like it, however it performs this font magic beautifully.
Collapse

Cambodia
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 21, 2015

Thank you for the tip, unfortunately Media Subtitler doesn't seem to work on a Mac…

B.
José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

The Notepad gets me a TXT file, which Subtitle Workshop supposedly reads, however this causes font problems with accents and the C-cedilla.

My trick is to open that Notepad TXT file with Media Subtitler, and then save it to the format I'll be using, i.e. SSA, ASS, SRT, whatever. It will warn me that in/out times haven't been set, but I don't care. Then Subtitle Workshop opens it exactly as it should be.

Maybe the same will occur with Aegisub.

I've included this quick step as a routine in my workflow for so long, that I don't remember exactly the problems I'd have without doing it. I tried time-spotting with Media Subtitler, didn't like it, however it performs this font magic beautifully.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing French subtitles in Aegisub

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »