Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Oleksandr Vasyliev
Oleksandr Vasyliev  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:59
Member (2017)
English to Russian
+ ...
Standalone graphic rard Feb 7, 2018

Tuulia Tipa wrote:
Which translator has an external standalone graphics card installed in their computer? Apart from gamers, that it? Or when they say "external standalone", are they simply referring to standard graphics cards that all new laptops have? I am just lost with the tech and terminology, as my computer has until now worked fine with all media players and subtitle editors...

[Edited at 2018-02-07 13:55 GMT]

Actually even new laptops don't always have graphic cards. Most of the new processors have graphic core inside the processor unit and it handles graphic rendering. But it uses system memory and main processor which slows down the system. You can choose laptop with dedicated GPU or buy one and (possibly) add it to the laptop at your disposal.
Though (to tell the truth) I can't see why subtitling program would need dedicated graphic card 8o0

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
My personal experience Feb 7, 2018

Tuulia Tipa wrote:
"Wincaps Q4 also requires an external standalone professional quality (minimum 256
MB) graphics card for video playback..."

I have been doing the entire subtitling job for 14 years, mostly with freeware.

One new client required Wincaps Q4 as a must, so I downloaded the demo. Though my AMD Radeon video card has 2 GB, I was unable to operate that software with acceptable productivity, so I gave up on both.

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 03:59
English to Italian
+ ...
SubtitleNEXT Feb 7, 2018

Tuulia,

SubtitleNEXT is great software packed with professional features. I understand they're currently offering a discount which would make it just a bit above your budget of Eur 500.00.

Reach out to Ivanka Vassileva [email protected] to ask her if the offer's still in place. Mind, if you're just starting out as a subtitler, your learning curve with the software is unvariably gonna be long, but it might well be worth the effort.

Good luck!

Tuulia Tipa wrote:

OK, I think I've found the catch. After downloading the trial version of Wincaps and failing to open any media, I read the small print:

"Wincaps Q4 also requires an external standalone professional quality (minimum 256
MB) graphics card for video playback..."

Which translator has an external standalone graphics card installed in their computer? Apart from gamers, that it? Or when they say "external standalone", are they simply referring to standard graphics cards that all new laptops have? I am just lost with the tech and terminology, as my computer has until now worked fine with all media players and subtitle editors...

[Edited at 2018-02-07 13:55 GMT]

NadiaRanuschio
NadiaRanuschio
United States
Local time: 19:59
English to Spanish
which courses & how to get experience Mar 30, 2018

Would it be recommended to take a course or courses in subtitling? If so, which ones are highly recommended or accepted in the subtitling industry? Then afterwards, how can I start getting the experience needed for most job requirements?

Thanks in advance for our help!

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:59
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Mar 30, 2018

NadiaRanuschio wrote:

Would it be recommended to take a course or courses in subtitling? If so, which ones are highly recommended or accepted in the subtitling industry? Then afterwards, how can I start getting the experience needed for most job requirements?

Thanks in advance for our help!

Hi Nadia,

These questions have already been answered in the thread.

Moisés Fernández Ballantyne
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
CPS Issue Apr 1, 2018

Hi Max, it's a pleasure. Thank you so much for your patience and all your help.

I wanted to ask you something about CPS and EZTitles.

I've been testing EZTitles and I'm pretty happy with it. The thing is that when I export my subs (in any format) and then open them on another software (for example Subtitle Edit), sometimes I receive different CPS values.

My settings are the the same on both programs, for example 17cps. So EZTitles tells me that everything i
... See more

I've been testing EZTitles and I'm pretty happy with it. The thing is that when I export my subs (in any format) and then open them on another software (for example Subtitle Edit), sometimes I receive different CPS values.

My settings are the the same on both programs, for example 17cps. So EZTitles tells me that everything is fine with this specific line I'm talking about: 15,6cps with 23,976 then when I open the exported file on Subtitle Edit this line appears with 18,5cps.

Do you have any idea why this happens? It's driving me crazy because I'm not sure how it will show on my client side. (It should be close to the same I'm seeing)

Thank you so much! Cheers!
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Apr 2, 2018

Moisés Fernández wrote:

My settings are the the same on both programs, for example 17cps. So EZTitles tells me that everything is fine with this specific line I'm talking about: 15,6cps with 23,976 then when I open the exported file on Subtitle Edit this line appears with 18,5cps.

Do you have any idea why this happens? It's driving me crazy because I'm not sure how it will show on my client side. (It should be close to the same I'm seeing)

Thank you so much! Cheers!

Hi Moises,

I actually can't replicate this issue — I get about the same reading speeds in EZTitles 5.2.10 and in freshly downloaded portable SE 3.5.6. Are you absolutely sure you use the same settings (e.g. you count spaces and punctuation in EZTitles)? Are you using the latest versions of both programs? What is your operating system?

Adrián Bergonzi
Adrián Bergonzi  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
CPS Apr 2, 2018

Hola, Moisés.
If you select "Count spaces" and "Count punctuation" as Max suggested, you should get the same speed when opening the file with Subtitle Edit. You will only see a difference in the second decimal (for example, 19.9 in EzTitles, and 19.91 in SE).

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you! Apr 3, 2018

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hi Moises,

I actually can't replicate this issue — I get about the same reading speeds in EZTitles 5.2.10 and in freshly downloaded portable SE 3.5.6. Are you absolutely sure you use the same settings (e.g. you count spaces and punctuation in EZTitles)? Are you using the latest versions of both programs? What is your operating system?

Max, thank you so much for this post, Adrián gave me the solution. Yes, it was the "count spaces" option that was unchecked on settings. And the other thing is that I selected CPS and not percentage.

Thanks again for helping people. I'm sure I'll be back here soon

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you so much! Apr 3, 2018

Adrián Bergonzi wrote:

Hola, Moisés.
If you select "Count spaces" and "Count punctuation" as Max suggested, you should get the same speed when opening the file with Subtitle Edit. You will only see a difference in the second decimal (for example, 19.9 in EzTitles, and 19.91 in SE).

¡Hola, Adrián! Muchísimas gracias. Definitivamente era eso. No sé por qué lo tenía desactivado. También seleccioné CPS en lugar del porcentaje que puede llegar a ser ambiguo en algunos casos.

No tienes idea de cuánto me ayudaste. Espero poder compartir contigo un poco más sobre el EZ Title. También tengo muchísimo tiempo trabajando con el Subtitle Edit y el Subtitle Workshop.

¡Un abrazo para ti!

---

Thank you so much, Adrian! That was exactly what I needed. Don't know why I had that option unchecked.

Again, thank you so much for you help.

Cheers!

Alejandro Torres

Thanasis Zantrimas
Thanasis Zantrimas
Greece
Converting subtitles from srt to sub/idx Apr 16, 2018

Hello there, guys. I've recently decided to convert text-based subtitles into an image-based format,
the so-called vobsub, although I've encountered an issue here. When I finished the conversion from Subtitle Edit,
I ran the media player classic to play the movie, and to my surprise, I saw that some scenes where the subtitles supposed to be italicized there weren't. Why is that, and how can I change it? I thought to download some other applications as well just in case there might be
... See more
Hello there, guys. I've recently decided to convert text-based subtitles into an image-based format,
the so-called vobsub, although I've encountered an issue here. When I finished the conversion from Subtitle Edit,
I ran the media player classic to play the movie, and to my surprise, I saw that some scenes where the subtitles supposed to be italicized there weren't. Why is that, and how can I change it? I thought to download some other applications as well just in case there might be a change, but I didn't try them yet. What do you say?
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Apr 16, 2018

Thanassis Zadrimas wrote:

I ran the media player classic to play the movie, and to my surprise, I saw that some scenes where the subtitles supposed to be italicized there weren't. Why is that, and how can I change it? I thought to download some other applications as well just in case there might be a change, but I didn't try them yet. What do you say?

Hi Thanassis,

I cannot reproduce your issue. I suggest that you contact Nikolaj Lynge Olsson, the creator of Subtitle Edit, and ask him directly. He's a lovely fellow who's always happy to help. Go here and click "Email" on the left-hand side.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Subtitle formatting codes Apr 16, 2018

Max Deryagin wrote:

Thanassis Zadrimas wrote:

Hi Thanassis,

I cannot reproduce your issue. I suggest that you contact Nikolaj Lynge Olsson, the creator of Subtitle Edit, and ask him directly. He's a lovely fellow who's always happy to help. Go here and click "Email" on the left-hand side.

As I understand it, SSA and ASS have strict, standard rules in place.

In all (or most?) other non-proprietary formats, it is a matter of using the codes adopted by the player or burner - which may vary or not - for italics, bolds, position shifts, etc.

Some simpler players/burners may be devoid of a parser for such commands; others may use "oddball" commands for the same effect. This is why now and then some translators get complaints from clients, while the subs come out as expected on the translator's screen.

I'd suggest you check the commands your player accepts, if any!

Thanasis Zantrimas
Thanasis Zantrimas
Greece
convert subs Apr 16, 2018

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hi Thanassis,

Well, I'm going to send an e-mail to him as you suggested. Thank you.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Apr 17, 2018

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
As I understand it, SSA and ASS have strict, standard rules in place.

In all (or most?) other non-proprietary formats, it is a matter of using the codes adopted by the player or burner - which may vary or not - for italics, bolds, position shifts, etc.

What an odd statement. Yes, a media player will render and display subtitles based on how it's programmed (and set up), but neither ASS nor proprietary formats are any different in this respect. I've seen players butcher ASS subs — even VLC still uses the old libass version with the arbitrary bitmap limit bug that causes rendering issues at 4K. (Jean-Baptiste told me he would fix it, but he never did).

Some simpler players/burners may be devoid of a parser for such commands; others may use "oddball" commands for the same effect. This is why now and then some translators get complaints from clients, while the subs come out as expected on the translator's screen.

I'd suggest you check the commands your player accepts, if any!

MPC with default settings should display sub/idx without a hitch.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »