Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:30
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dec 3, 2015

Hi, all. I'm learning the art of subtitling, as a module for my MA in Translation. I have a professional subtitler and training contact (who has worked with my course tutor) who has offered to have a look at my assessed task and give me some feedback. I am working in Aegisub. She works in WinCAPS. I do not want to take up her generously offered time dealing with technicalities.

I am providing her with the clip, both with and without my subtitles burnt on. I also want to provide her
... See more
Hi, all. I'm learning the art of subtitling, as a module for my MA in Translation. I have a professional subtitler and training contact (who has worked with my course tutor) who has offered to have a look at my assessed task and give me some feedback. I am working in Aegisub. She works in WinCAPS. I do not want to take up her generously offered time dealing with technicalities.

I am providing her with the clip, both with and without my subtitles burnt on. I also want to provide her with a subtitle file that she can review, and import into WinCAPS.

I do not believe WinCAPS understands .ass format. I know I can export to .srt format, and I understand that she can import that. However, that ignores or does not fully handle styles and positioning of text on the screen - I have some captions I have to handle differently from the subtitles proper, and I would like them to be correctly reflected.

I am not familiar with the other formats that Aegisub offers, maybe one of the others would be better, but without access to WinCAPS, I really don't know.

I'm also concerned because Aegisub works entirely in milliseconds. WinCAPS works in minutes and frames. This is a 25 fps clip. It shouldn't be an issue...??? Or do I need to do a conversion of my Aegisub subtitles when I export them? (I note that my exported .srt file works perfectly, from a timing point of view, when I use Subtitle Workshop to open it, so fundamentally it looks like it should work).

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can give!
Collapse

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 05:30
English to Italian
+ ...
EBU-STL Dec 4, 2015

Hi,

I'm not sure aegisub supports this but the best exchange format between professional subtitling packages is EBU STL. That does keep all positioning and style settings unaltered.

Hope that helps.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:30
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Dec 4, 2015

Hi Sian,

You can export to EBU STL from Aegisub (File → Exports Subtitles... → Export... → EBU). This format supports positioning; however, I'm not sure if Aegisub properly saves the positioning data.

So you can either try that or go with WinCAPS Q-Lite's Pay-As-You-Go payment plan and work in it for $4.00 per hour.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export from Aegisub for import into WinCAPS

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »