Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Rate per source subtitle?
Thread poster: Inez Ulrich

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:06
French to English
What is a reasonable rate? Sep 13

A reasonable rate in country A can be an excellent rate in country B and a terrible rate in country C.
If you do not compare like with like, a comparison is not useful.

Direct link Reply with quote

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
How do you calculate rate per minute for a quote? Sep 13

Is it a rate per minute of the video sent or rate per minute that one spends translating? Translating one minute of the video can still take quite a lot of time besides the consideration of where a certain rate is judged excellent in country A and a terrible rate in country B

Jean Dimitriadis
France
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
Video minute Sep 13

Per video minute.

If it’s a new client/agency, before quoting, you can always ask to see the source beforehand (video, sample, script, original subs, etc.), just as you would for a translation job.

But subtitling is different to translation in many respects, in my book, getting specific training, experience and skills is highly recommended.

I think 6:1 ratio is for seasoned subtitlers.

As for what is a reasonable price, I’m not sure I would charge less or more depending on the country I live in, although I guess someone living in a low-cost country would have more leeway when it comes to competitiveness (outsourcers use this too). It’s more related to the language pair or the buyer’s country (or business model)…

Jean

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate per source subtitle?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search