Reina Virgilio  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:02
Member (2017)
Spanish to Japanese
+ ...
Jan 17

Hello all,

I am doing a subtitling project and am using Aegisub, and I was wondering whether it has some function to control the length of one subtitle event?
For example, if one subtitle should last for at least 12 frames, is there any setting I can do so that Aegisub can detect the subtitles that don't meet the condition?
I have only learnt to use the basic functions of it yet and I should look into the manual by myself, but it is a bit urgent so I'd appreciate it if anyone could help.

Thank you!

Camille Thompson
France
Local time: 19:02
English to French
+ ...
CPS Jan 19

Hi Reina,

I have been using Aegisub a lot and for some time now, and as far as I know there is no way to control the number of frames - I might be wrong! However, controlling the number of characters per second or the number of characters per line might be a way of getting around it. The number of CPS can be checked in the "CPS" column on the left of your subtitle line. The number of characters per line can be monitored in a small box in the top right part of the Aegisub window, and that box goes red when there are more than 42 characters in the selected line (standard limit).

I hope this helps a bit!

[Edited at 2018-01-19 12:36 GMT]

Reina Virgilio  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:02
Member (2017)
Spanish to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Jan 23

Hello Camille,

Thank you very much for your reply!
I have been trying to figure it out and serched the function by keywords in the manual, but it seems there is no relevant function to do so.
It's a shame since Aegisub is an accessible subtitling tool and the existing functions are satisfactory, if only it had the function to control it!
However your advice on checking the CPS and the number of words on the top right part will definitely help me too, as I have been counting words manually..
Thanks a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Controlling the subtitle length in Aegisub

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search