What are the most important/useful features of a Subtitle Editor?
Thread poster: Jarek Kulikowski

Jarek Kulikowski
Canada
Local time: 18:02
Polish to English
May 17

I am a developer and a translator. I am writing a Web Application for Editing Subtitles which serves my purposes very well. It occurred to me that others might like it also, but I am not sure what other features would be useful. Any suggestions are welcome.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jarek Kulikowski
Canada
Local time: 18:02
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
The idea of https://captionflow.com May 21

There seems to be no interest in this topic, at least thus far. Perhaps it might be helpful to provide the URL of the tool I am building ( https://captionflow.com ) and say a few things about it.

A few years ago, while watching an old Polish film I realized that there is great wealth of cultural resources which is effectively inaccessible to the English public; specifically my kids who have inherited much of my cultural, yet, values knowing very little about their source. Solution: translate it yourself.

I looked around for some tools only to discover that that there wasn't much available. Sure, there was a plethora applications which gave you precise position of a subtitle frame to within 1/30 of a second, there were different file formats, bells and whistles of all kinds. But all I wanted to do was to take Polish sentence and come up with its English equivalent. Of course, every translator knows what that entails, and more importantly, how much effort it takes to get it 'right'. The challenge was to build some kind of Application that would allow a translator to focus on the actual job, rather that just become an expert in the technical aspects of their trade.

So I started CaptionFlow. The prototype went well. I translated a couple of movies, a few songs and poems, some documentaries... . Translation of 'Prawo i Pięść' by Jerzy Hoffman took me 5 days and I was exhausted afterwards ( I am not a very experienced translator, certainly not a professional ). I learned my first lesson as a translator: "it ain't for the faint of heart if you want to get it right". The kids liked it, we talked about it, and apparently I must have done something right since we were talking about the same thing.

Encouraged by those experiences I decided to post my Web Application on the Internet for others to use. And now I am curious. Is this app as good as I think? Obviously not, but how useful is it? Those are questions that I cannot answer by myself. An author is the last person in a position to objectively evaluate his/her own work, we are people.

Another encouragement came from one of the users of CaptionFlow. Literal quote:
"Wow! Thank you so much for this tool! I don't know if I can even calculate the amount of time this has saved me. I would love to make a donation!"
I am not too concerned with donations at this stage, though I can't say that I don't appreciate it. I see these kinds of testimonial on the Internet all the time, but this one is real and it feels great!.

Finally, in reference other Subtitle Editor type of applications, I would like to express my respect for the work done by their authors. Something like Subtitle Edit took a lot of effort and helped many people. My kudos to the author. I just want to contribute to the effort in my own way, take it a little further perhaps.

So, if you have a few spare minutes please come by and take a look. Maybe together we can builds something we can all use and enjoy.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the most important/useful features of a Subtitle Editor?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search