https://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/3313-subtitling_beginner_any_advice_for_me_rates_info.html

Subtitling beginner: Any advice for me? Rates info?
Thread poster: Katy62
Katy62
Katy62
Local time: 16:30
English to German
+ ...
Jun 12, 2002

I have submitted a test translation for

subtitling.

Does anyone out there have any experience

and can give me some advice?

It seems hard but interesting work - is the money good?

Any ideas about the average rate?

Félix Saiz
Félix Saiz  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
The Beginner's Guide to Subtitling Jun 12, 2002

This is a great site about subtitling. I hope it helps.

http://armitage.crinkle.net/karinkuru/howtosub/index.shtml

Best regards,

Félix

Yaotl Altan

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
I generally don't do it (got burned once) Jun 12, 2002

But insist on SEEING the original (don\'t work exclusively from a script) and charge an hour rate. (This may seem obvious, but I was denied the first condition - a preview - and ended up making a critical mistake.)

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:30
Spanish to English
Agree with Cecilia Jun 12, 2002

Definitely charge per hour. I remember spending hours rewinding the video tape over an over again to get the feeling of the original. Then after that I was sent the final version for review.

I charged per word, and it ended up being my charity project for the year!

It can be entertaining to do now and then, but it sure won\'t put the food on the table.

Philip4
Philip4
English to Dutch
Why not give it a try? Jun 13, 2002

In the beginning it takes some investment both timewise and moneywise, but in the end it will definitely pay off. Make sure you get the right equipment, preferrably digital. Provided that you have the talent, you run the risk never to want to do anything anymore. That\'s all I can say about it.

Check out www.ondertiteling.nl

Philip4
Philip4
English to Dutch
correction Jun 14, 2002

Of course I meant to say, \"...never to do anything else anymore!\"
[addsig]

Сергей Лузан
Сергей Лузан
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:31
German to Russian
+ ...
Subtitling Jun 25, 2002

It´s not worth the time spent usually. Just for interst and experience. In Russia usual price of the narrating of the film is between 20 - 25 US$. I used to work for 30-35 for the most prominent customers. Anyway, calculation - you spend 1h 35 m just to watch the film. In Russia film narrators survive low quality and rapid work - real \"pros\" watch initial 20 - 25 minutes and translate about 35 % of the content.

Subtitling is quite rare. It´s a show business commerce, and nobody is
... See more
It´s not worth the time spent usually. Just for interst and experience. In Russia usual price of the narrating of the film is between 20 - 25 US$. I used to work for 30-35 for the most prominent customers. Anyway, calculation - you spend 1h 35 m just to watch the film. In Russia film narrators survive low quality and rapid work - real \"pros\" watch initial 20 - 25 minutes and translate about 35 % of the content.

Subtitling is quite rare. It´s a show business commerce, and nobody is interested in quality. So, try to insist on hourly payment - 6 hours per movie at least. Any additional informatiom from translator, narrator and subtitler of movies you may receive directly. Just click my signature.

Good luck!
[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling beginner: Any advice for me? Rates info?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »