Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:09
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Nov 29, 2005

Hello,
I am absolutely new in this field but I passed a test assigned by a well-known Italian agency (I checked their status on BlueBoard and they'are doing very well). They offered me rates that seem to me to be quite low. But as I said I am absolute beginner and perhaps I should take this fact more into account.
Would you please tell me your opinion on those rates?
- translation per subtitle - USD 0,18
- proof per subtitle - USD 0,03
- text translation per word - USD 0,035 (my usual rate is 0,04 and I still think I should work for more)
- DVD menu translation - USD 0,035.
- typing from CD or script - USD 0,09...

There are may nore items rated and I do not know yet what they all mean. I am in the process of making them clear. But just to know your opinion could you please tell me in points what I should focus on when considering the rates and future collaboration?
And last question - there were several terms from subtitling field that I am not yet familiar with. Would you please decipher for me what is: rematch, correlation, QC Tiff, SDH and red checks? Of course I can look it up in dictionary but in your words - what is it about?
Thanks in advance!

lim0nka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:09
English to Polish
rates depend on the country you live in :( Nov 29, 2005

Veronika Masopustová wrote:
Would you please tell me your opinion on those rates?
- translation per subtitle - USD 0,18
- proof per subtitle - USD 0,03
- text translation per word - USD 0,035
- DVD menu translation - USD 0,035.
- typing from CD or script - USD 0,09...

Unfortunately those are the rates they offer people in our countries (Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia etc.). They have nothing to do with your experience. I have been subtitling for the last 13 years and was offered the same rates. I tried to negotiate with them but in vain. So finally I said "thank you, bye". The problem is that people (beginners in this business) translating into Polish, but living in Western countries were offered much higher rates, even doubled.icon_frown.gif

Would you please decipher for me what is: rematch, correlation, QC Tiff, SDH and red checks? Of course I can look it up in dictionary but in your words - what is it about?

Check out this topic: http://www.proz.com/topic/38936

Anetta

Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Anetta Nov 29, 2005

I am still thinking about it.

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 04:09
English to Romanian
+ ...
just a though Nov 29, 2005

Perhaps you should look for a company that offers training since you are a beginner. Even if rates are not that great you can learn a lot in a company where they have a well established training program and grow faster from there. Soon after that you will be able to move on and ask for better ratesicon_smile.gif
Best of luck to youicon_smile.gif

Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The company has just offered me a training phase Dec 1, 2005

Thank you both, ladies,
I am about to undergo a training phase at that company so I decided to try it. If i later discover I am doing well, I will try to ask for more.
Thanks for your advice again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for beginner

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across Translator Edition and Across Language Server v7
Meet our brand new version and speed up your translation processes!

Deliver high-quality translations with our fast and secure solutions. You can also integrate machine translation and other third-party systems. The Across Translator Basic Edition is free for freelancers. Start now and discover new business opportuniti

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search