Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:01
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Nov 29, 2005

Hello,
I am absolutely new in this field but I passed a test assigned by a well-known Italian agency (I checked their status on BlueBoard and they'are doing very well). They offered me rates that seem to me to be quite low. But as I said I am absolute beginner and perhaps I should take this fact more into account.
Would you please tell me your opinion on those rates?
- translation per subtitle - USD 0,18
- proof per subtitle - USD 0,03
- text translation per word -
... See more
Hello,
I am absolutely new in this field but I passed a test assigned by a well-known Italian agency (I checked their status on BlueBoard and they'are doing very well). They offered me rates that seem to me to be quite low. But as I said I am absolute beginner and perhaps I should take this fact more into account.
- text translation per word - USD 0,035 (my usual rate is 0,04 and I still think I should work for more)
- DVD menu translation - USD 0,035.
- typing from CD or script - USD 0,09...

There are may nore items rated and I do not know yet what they all mean. I am in the process of making them clear. But just to know your opinion could you please tell me in points what I should focus on when considering the rates and future collaboration?
And last question - there were several terms from subtitling field that I am not yet familiar with. Would you please decipher for me what is: rematch, correlation, QC Tiff, SDH and red checks? Of course I can look it up in dictionary but in your words - what is it about?
Thanks in advance!
Collapse

lim0nka
lim0nka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:01
English to Polish
rates depend on the country you live in :( Nov 29, 2005

Veronika Masopustová wrote:
- text translation per word - USD 0,035
- DVD menu translation - USD 0,035.
- typing from CD or script - USD 0,09...

Unfortunately those are the rates they offer people in our countries (Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia etc.). They have nothing to do with your experience. I have been subtitling for the last 13 years and was offered the same rates. I tried to negotiate with them but in vain. So finally I said "thank you, bye". The problem is that people (beginners in this business) translating into Polish, but living in Western countries were offered much higher rates, even doubled.

Would you please decipher for me what is: rematch, correlation, QC Tiff, SDH and red checks? Of course I can look it up in dictionary but in your words - what is it about?

Check out this topic: http://www.proz.com/topic/38936

Anetta

Veronika Hansova
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Anetta Nov 29, 2005

I am still thinking about it.

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 12:01
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
just a though Nov 29, 2005

Perhaps you should look for a company that offers training since you are a beginner. Even if rates are not that great you can learn a lot in a company where they have a well established training program and grow faster from there. Soon after that you will be able to move on and ask for better rates
Best of luck to you

Veronika Hansova
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The company has just offered me a training phase Dec 1, 2005

Thank you both, ladies,
I am about to undergo a training phase at that company so I decided to try it. If i later discover I am doing well, I will try to ask for more.
Thanks for your advice again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for beginner

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »