Another topic on subtitling software...
Thread poster: JulietteC
JulietteC
JulietteC
Local time: 06:29
English to French
Sep 7, 2006

Hi everyone !

After a work placement in subtitling, I am planning to look for work (translation for subtitling, no spotting) and to buy a subtitling software as soon as possible.

During my work placement, I worked on Wincaps, which I really liked, but simply too expensive for me.

Some of my colleagues advised me not to take Ayato, because there was no indication of the reading speed, among others.

I know that many beginners translate subtitle i
... See more
Hi everyone !

After a work placement in subtitling, I am planning to look for work (translation for subtitling, no spotting) and to buy a subtitling software as soon as possible.

During my work placement, I worked on Wincaps, which I really liked, but simply too expensive for me.

Some of my colleagues advised me not to take Ayato, because there was no indication of the reading speed, among others.

I know that many beginners translate subtitle in word files, but I did it for tests and found it very not practical : no way to know the reading speed, no way to see the subtitles directly on the video...
In short, a loss of time and quality.

I would like to know which software do you use and why do you prefer this one to others.

Also, I would like to know if free subtitling software are used by professionnals or if they are just "gadjets"...

Thanks very much for your answers !

Juliette.
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 22:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
Ascertain which subtitling software the customer uses or prefers Sep 7, 2006

Greetings.

To conserve your funds and peace of mind, it may be helpful to ascertain which subtitling software the customer uses or prefers, as each product tends to have unique features or methods of use.

In the US, film and media production / post-production companies which require subtitling (sometimes with concomitant re-coding and re-timing of scenes to dialogue and v.v.) commonly take two approaches:

(1) provide the subtitler with the firm's own softw
... See more
Greetings.

To conserve your funds and peace of mind, it may be helpful to ascertain which subtitling software the customer uses or prefers, as each product tends to have unique features or methods of use.

In the US, film and media production / post-production companies which require subtitling (sometimes with concomitant re-coding and re-timing of scenes to dialogue and v.v.) commonly take two approaches:

(1) provide the subtitler with the firm's own software

and/or

(2) prefer to train and employ the freelance subtitler right there, on-site at the production / post-production firm (this is a more-common practice and preferred for several practical, technical and legal reasons)

The above observations apply to freelancers who do only occasional subtitling and thus need not invest in buying sets of subtitling software that may be only rarely used.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California, USA
Collapse

simona dachille
simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:29
Italian to English
use company's software Sep 10, 2006

i work in this field exclusively from home and use e light version of the programme the company uses. As i would now like to try and do spotting too, as in the preparation of english templates, I am also looking for the relevant and accepted software. From what I have seen most companies don't even use win caps or swift so i think it's best too approach each company individually. Hope this helps and let me know how you get on!

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
The trouble with using the company's software... Sep 14, 2006

It's all very well to suggest using the company's own software, but that tends to restrict you to one client or it can mean having many different, possibly conflicting programmes, loaded onto your system.

Some of the software manufacturers produce a pared down version of their software for use by freelancers/translators who don't need the full range of functions available. Isis certai
... See more
It's all very well to suggest using the company's own software, but that tends to restrict you to one client or it can mean having many different, possibly conflicting programmes, loaded onto your system.

Some of the software manufacturers produce a pared down version of their software for use by freelancers/translators who don't need the full range of functions available. Isis certainly does (www.starfishtechnologies.com) and I think WinCAPS does too. If I remember correctly, they come in at about half to two thirds of the cost of the full system.

There are various free subtitling programmes available, but they tend to export in strange formats, so they can be more trouble than they're worth.
Collapse

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
Sorry but... Sep 15, 2006

Hi, Juliette

There is reading speed in Ayato (the green/red bar at the bottom of the screen), that you even can adjust yourself.
Anyway, it should only be an indicator, since, to me, the only judges to be trusted are... your own eyes during simulation.
Sometimes red can be read and green can't!

All professional subtitling softwares are expensive. I'm not making any publicity for Ayato (which has some flaws indeed, but which software doesn't anyway?), but if
... See more
Hi, Juliette

There is reading speed in Ayato (the green/red bar at the bottom of the screen), that you even can adjust yourself.
Anyway, it should only be an indicator, since, to me, the only judges to be trusted are... your own eyes during simulation.
Sometimes red can be read and green can't!

All professional subtitling softwares are expensive. I'm not making any publicity for Ayato (which has some flaws indeed, but which software doesn't anyway?), but if you work in France, you should know that it tends to be used by an increasing number of companies there. Getting it, you might avoid technical problems (converting, simulating, etc.).

Hope it helps,
Sylvano
Collapse

Martin Cleaver
Martin Cleaver
Dutch to English
Spot Oct 16, 2006

Take a look at Spot. It is the translator's package for digital video subtitling. Written and supported by translators. And it is more powerful and less expensive then many other packages.
www.spotsoftware.nl
Rgds
Martin

voice
voice  Identity Verified
Danish to Norwegian
+ ...
Titlevision 2003Edit Oct 25, 2006

Hi,
If you only need software for translation of spotted titles, you should try the free version of Titlevision.
It has the features you are looking for.
It saves in USF and PAC and TXT
The full version however cost 2700 euro (!)
So if you need to do spotting as well, Spot Software seem to be the best sollution. It "only" cost 1650 euro.

Martin

[Edited at 2006-10-25 09:45]

Ana Rita Santos
Ana Rita Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
Another suggestion Oct 26, 2006

You can also try EZTitles. It handles several types of files, including PAC, and has various prices, depending on your needs. The basic program with video importing plus PAC import/export comes at around 1500 euro, and you can pay in installments (24 months, I think)

nuccia80
nuccia80
English to Italian
+ ...
ayato functionalities Nov 6, 2008

Since you are using ayato, can you give me some suggestions?
Is it user-friedly, how many format and which supports? What version have you purchased (there are few of them and no much specifications)?

The price is affordable compared to other softwares and it can be imported in wincaps, which is good.

xxxx

Nuccia

[Modificato alle 2008-11-06 08:20]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another topic on subtitling software...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »