https://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/61566-any_free_downloadable_subtitling_software_that_lets_you_save_work.html

Any Free downloadable subtitling software that lets you save work?
Thread poster: Cynthia Pecking
Cynthia Pecking
Cynthia Pecking
Germany
Local time: 20:58
French to English
+ ...
Dec 13, 2006

I am trying to subtitle a short film for a friend, and I'm wondering if there are any programs that you can download that let you save your work. I downloaded Subtitle Workshop, but can't figure out how to save. Then I downloaded a demo version of Ayato, but it seems like saving is not an option. Is one obligated to buy the software in order to do a film?

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
To save you usually need to buy... Dec 13, 2006

Disabling the save function is one of the ways programmers and sellers limit the unauthorised use of their software.

I know that's a bit hard on people like yourself who just want it for a short job for your friend. But see it from the author's perspective. You may find you like doing this kind of work, begin to find jobs on ProZ.com, and presto, you have a working tool from which to earn money, without having paid anything.

Personally, I prefer programs which are tim
... See more
Disabling the save function is one of the ways programmers and sellers limit the unauthorised use of their software.

I know that's a bit hard on people like yourself who just want it for a short job for your friend. But see it from the author's perspective. You may find you like doing this kind of work, begin to find jobs on ProZ.com, and presto, you have a working tool from which to earn money, without having paid anything.

Personally, I prefer programs which are time limited in their demo version, and not function limited, but that's not always a choice I have!

Good luck, and start saving. Perhaps you will become a well-known sub-titler!

Cheers,

Bill

Sorry, that didn't really address your question! I took a quick Google at "subtitling +programs +shareware" and found quite a few that were even FREE. But since I don't know exactly what you want, I think you had better do the search yourself and see if there is something there that suits your needs.

And please remember to pay the shareward fee if you choose one of them

[Edited at 2006-12-13 07:58]
Collapse

Manuel Leite
Manuel Leite  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:58
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Saving in Subtitle Workshop Dec 13, 2006

Are you sure you have Subtitle Workshop correctly instaled?
I have SW and the saving procedures are similar to the ones in any MS application. In fact, I can save the subs in more than 50 formats.
Its freeware, so there's no reason to have the saving function blocked.

Best,

Manuel

Cynthia Pecking
Cynthia Pecking
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but opening/sending the saved document... Dec 19, 2006

Hi Manuel,

Thanks so much for your reply. I have figured out how to save the subtitled film, but then when I want to view the subtitled film again, the only way that I can get it to play is to go into my recent files in Subtitle Workshop and open it that way. Do you know if there is any way to make it play in Media Player for example, and is it possible to burn it to a CD? Also, does the person I'm sending it to have to open it in Subtitle Workshop on their computer to be able to v
... See more
Hi Manuel,

Thanks so much for your reply. I have figured out how to save the subtitled film, but then when I want to view the subtitled film again, the only way that I can get it to play is to go into my recent files in Subtitle Workshop and open it that way. Do you know if there is any way to make it play in Media Player for example, and is it possible to burn it to a CD? Also, does the person I'm sending it to have to open it in Subtitle Workshop on their computer to be able to view it?
Thanks so much for any help you can provide!
Cindy

MLeiria wrote:

Are you sure you have Subtitle Workshop correctly instaled?
I have SW and the saving procedures are similar to the ones in any MS application. In fact, I can save the subs in more than 50 formats.
Its freeware, so there's no reason to have the saving function blocked.

Best,

Manuel
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, there is plenty of freeware for subtitling Jan 1, 2007

Try searching http://www.videohelp.com for this and you'll find software, tutorials, and lots of information.

You are on the right track with Subtitle Workshop. But it will only let you save the subtitles file, in several formats.

From there, you have two paths to choose from:

a) you may burn the subtitles on the video, like it was done for VHS. This will probably require
... See more
Try searching http://www.videohelp.com for this and you'll find software, tutorials, and lots of information.

You are on the right track with Subtitle Workshop. But it will only let you save the subtitles file, in several formats.

From there, you have two paths to choose from:

a) you may burn the subtitles on the video, like it was done for VHS. This will probably require that you convert from VOB files to AVI, burn, and then re-author the DVD.

b) you may re-author the DVD with the subtitles file so that by using the "Subtitle" button in the DVD player's remote control, you'll be able to select each subtitle file you included, as well as none.

Regarding quality, the results I'm getting from my freeware-only home-subtitled DVDs are just as good as what I see in any professional video. The only thing is that video rendering takes a lot of time, so it's better to have it done overnight by a powerful computer.

But this is not an automatic, easy process to master. If someone is used to face computer challenges, with often less-than-perfectly-documented software, it can be done.
Collapse

Cynthia Pecking
Cynthia Pecking
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can you send the subtitled film to someone else? Jan 1, 2007

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your help. Is this something that can be done only for the purpose of watching subtitled films at home, just for personal use? Or could I send this to friends as well?
Thanks,
Cindy

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Professional subtitling with freeware Feb 25, 2007

cricetrans wrote:

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your help. Is this something that can be done only for the purpose of watching subtitled films at home, just for personal use? Or could I send this to friends as well?
Thanks,
Cindy

Amazingly, I didn't get your question by e-mail. Found it by accident right after giving you "the works" on subtitling in another thread.

There I gave you the recipe with freeware only. Depending on the input provided and the outcome desired, I have some other programs I use in this process that are commercial software, I bought their licenses.

There is a remarkable difference in authoring DVDs; for this you need really expensive software - the more it costs, the fancier and better DVDs you get. But plain subtitling can be (well) done with freeware.

[]s
José

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any Free downloadable subtitling software that lets you save work?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »