Import of existing subtitles
Thread poster: Tapina

Tapina
Local time: 20:06
English
Jan 30, 2007

Hello everybody,

I have never subtibled something before but for my final thesis I will subtitle a British sitcom. I have already changed the vob-format of the DVD into an avi, so that I can work with it in titlevision.

Is it possible to import the English subtitles, so that I just have to adjust the in- and out times and insert the German text or do I have to start from scratch?

When I'm done with subtitling will it be without any problems possible to burn
... See more
Hello everybody,

I have never subtibled something before but for my final thesis I will subtitle a British sitcom. I have already changed the vob-format of the DVD into an avi, so that I can work with it in titlevision.

Is it possible to import the English subtitles, so that I just have to adjust the in- and out times and insert the German text or do I have to start from scratch?

When I'm done with subtitling will it be without any problems possible to burn the Sitcom again on DVD?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Collapse

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:06
French to Spanish
+ ...
Hi. Jan 30, 2007

I don't think you'll find English subtitles for a British program unless close captionned. You'll have to find that out. Subtitling is usually done for other languages, you know that.

1.- If the sitcom has been subtitled into another language, you must get that spotting list, that is, Time In/Time Out and texts in, let's say, Spanish. You'll have to overwrite it in German... but that won't be a complete subtitling work because time capture is already done, and that's a very annoying
... See more
I don't think you'll find English subtitles for a British program unless close captionned. You'll have to find that out. Subtitling is usually done for other languages, you know that.

1.- If the sitcom has been subtitled into another language, you must get that spotting list, that is, Time In/Time Out and texts in, let's say, Spanish. You'll have to overwrite it in German... but that won't be a complete subtitling work because time capture is already done, and that's a very annoying and important part to do.

2.- You could get the dialogue list. Somehow helpfull.

3.- If nothing above is completed, I'm afraid you'll have to do it from the very beginning, by ear. Very difficult. Excelent exercise for your thesis.

4.- You say:

"When I'm done with subtitling will it be without any problems possible to burn the Sitcom again on DVD?"

That process is NOT subtitling, it's translation FOR subtitling. Next step IS subtitling. And yes, you'll have a lot of trouble if you don't know any software to do it... or do you?

Take a look here (in Spanish, I'm afraid. I'm sure you'll find a lot more in English):

www.mundodivx.com

Wish you best of luck.
Collapse

kmtext
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:06
English
+ ...
It isn't easy to get hold of subtitle/caption files Mar 6, 2007

Most sitcoms in the UK would have been subtitled or captioned by the main subtitling companies, but the broadcaster/production company retains ownership of the subtitle files. They are reluctant to part with the files. I've seen cases where the same programme has had to be subtitled from scratch again by the same person because it was being broadcast on a different channel and the production company refused to release the subtitle file.

You might be lucky if it's for a non-profit pu
... See more
Most sitcoms in the UK would have been subtitled or captioned by the main subtitling companies, but the broadcaster/production company retains ownership of the subtitle files. They are reluctant to part with the files. I've seen cases where the same programme has had to be subtitled from scratch again by the same person because it was being broadcast on a different channel and the production company refused to release the subtitle file.

You might be lucky if it's for a non-profit purpose, but I think the chances of sourcing a subtitle file for a UK sitcom are slim.

Good luck though!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import of existing subtitles

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search