Could you help me decipher some terms (like simulation, bonus etc) and give me some advise?
Thread poster: fionainrome
fionainrome
fionainrome
Italy
Local time: 08:52
Italian to English
Mar 3, 2008

I have been contacted by an American company, but I'm having some trouble understanding what they are proposing exactly. I do translation for subtitling (no time coding) and I also often do subtitles from scratch (watching and listening to the film). Could you help me decipher some of the terms they are using (like simulation, bonus etc)?

(Euros

Translation of Feature, Commentary & Bonus: €2.80 per program minute

Simulation (QC) of Feature, Commentary &
... See more
I have been contacted by an American company, but I'm having some trouble understanding what they are proposing exactly. I do translation for subtitling (no time coding) and I also often do subtitles from scratch (watching and listening to the film). Could you help me decipher some of the terms they are using (like simulation, bonus etc)?

(Euros

Translation of Feature, Commentary & Bonus: €2.80 per program minute

Simulation (QC) of Feature, Commentary & Bonus: €0.70 per program minute

Correlation/Simulation (Reformat): €1.40 per program minute

Flat/Minimum Fee: €20.00

*Average movie runs an approximately 100 minutes, depends on the title and client)

Also, they have mentioned giving me a test and I know that's only right, but I've heard some companies sometimes get you to do a long test and then never get back to you (basically they get you to work for free!) Could you please advise me on how long a test should be max?
Thanks to you all

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-03 16:36]
Collapse

JulietteC
JulietteC
English to French
Well... Mar 3, 2008

My 2 cents :

In my opinion, working for these rates is almost working for free anyway...

As for translation test, I avoid any test longer than 500 words.

However, this kind of big low-cost subtitling company will probably send you a lot of work if you pass the test: their rates are so low that many translators get rid of them as soon as possible. They mostly work with young inexperienced translators (willing to accept these rates), they do not have enough o
... See more
My 2 cents :

In my opinion, working for these rates is almost working for free anyway...

As for translation test, I avoid any test longer than 500 words.

However, this kind of big low-cost subtitling company will probably send you a lot of work if you pass the test: their rates are so low that many translators get rid of them as soon as possible. They mostly work with young inexperienced translators (willing to accept these rates), they do not have enough of them, so quite logically, they'll send you much work.

Personally, I passed some tests for this kind of companies but decided not to work for them : I would earn more by working as a cashier...
Collapse

simona dachille
simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:52
Italian to English
hope this helps Mar 3, 2008

Hi,
when they say a simulation that just means that you watch the film with the subtitles and check the spelling and the translation, so it's like a proofread. I have no idea what correlation means in terms of this kind of work.
An adaptation usually is when you have the titles sent to you in the form of a dialogue list. You then have to divide them up and do the spotting. You may just have to divide them up and then they will so the spotting later.
Bonus means the extras on a
... See more
Hi,
when they say a simulation that just means that you watch the film with the subtitles and check the spelling and the translation, so it's like a proofread. I have no idea what correlation means in terms of this kind of work.
An adaptation usually is when you have the titles sent to you in the form of a dialogue list. You then have to divide them up and do the spotting. You may just have to divide them up and then they will so the spotting later.
Bonus means the extras on a DVD, so maybe the deleted scenes and the bloopers.
I did a test for visiontext in london. A 45 minute documentary. Never heard back from them, they didn't even acknowledge receipt or say thanks.
I'd do 10 minutes of a film as a test and charge for more. Usually they give you a part which has "battute" difficili to translate to see if you maintain the humour etc. So it's not about quantity.
Collapse

fionainrome
fionainrome
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Really... Mar 3, 2008

Thanks to both of you. Juliette, believe it or not this is the highest fee I have been offered up till now! Sad, I know... I'm hoping to hear from companies that pay more....
So... I should absolutely not do more than 10 mins as a test?

Frederique Biehler
Frederique Biehler  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
And remember! Mar 3, 2008

For movie translations and subtitles, you get royalties, (which are pretty interesting)...Sacem in france....

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:52
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Royalties for video translation dub/sub Mar 3, 2008

Frederique Biehler wrote:
For movie translations and subtitles, you get royalties, (which are pretty interesting)...Sacem in france....

I got the impression that this only happens in Douce France. Anywhere else, such things are taken as "services rendered" for once and for all.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Length of test Mar 7, 2008

Fiona, the big subtitling companies have set prices and no space for manoeuvre, but as Juliette said, they have a lot of work.

Therefore, if you have more time than work, or as you said your other work is badly paid, go for it. You get work and experience, and it is usually more fun to translate than the instructions of a washing machine.

The test for these companies are different from the usual translation text, (or at least, it should be) and I wouldn’t quibble abo
... See more
Fiona, the big subtitling companies have set prices and no space for manoeuvre, but as Juliette said, they have a lot of work.

Therefore, if you have more time than work, or as you said your other work is badly paid, go for it. You get work and experience, and it is usually more fun to translate than the instructions of a washing machine.

The test for these companies are different from the usual translation text, (or at least, it should be) and I wouldn’t quibble about the length, but it should NOT be the translation of X minutes of documentary, or suchlike.

The test is usually tailored to the nature of the work they deal with, and often consists of several parts, to see how well the translator follows instructions, deals with the restricted length of the subtitles, the capturing of the essence of the text, their understanding of colloquialism, and how good is their grammar, spelling, punctuation.

Keep that in mind when doing the test, and although the test may spread to several pages, and 500-700 words, that is not the issue.

With more experience and a steady flow of subtitling work, you will be able to find better paid translation work as well.

Oh, yes, and José Henrique is right, don't expect royalties.

[Edited at 2008-03-07 15:34]
Collapse

fionainrome
fionainrome
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Haven't heard back Mar 7, 2008

[quote]juvera wrote:

I replied about 4-5 days after I got their email.
(I wanted to talk to my tax advisor first to see what options I had with taxes as I have never worked with companies outside Europe up till now). However, I haven't heard back from them and I was wondering whether maybe they had an urgent job and since it took me a few days to get back to them they don't need my service anymore. This would seem rather strange though, as they had mentioned giving me a test and that would have taken a few days anyway. What do you think?

Also, they never mentioned what subtitling program they use. I only have subtitle workshop on my lap top. I hope they won't suggest I buy any program as I think that would be quite silly when I don't know the amount of work I'd be getting from them.

Any advice?
Thanks!

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Software Mar 7, 2008

Big companies usually have their own preference regarding software, they often use in-house developped programs.
They give a password and time-restricted copy to their translators. Small companies may not give you enough work to justify the expenses, and they don't necessarily use the same software. No point to buy anything, it could be a waste of money.

Why don't you enquire at the company, what happened?
If they are not helpful, don't bother.

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Germany Mar 11, 2008

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Frederique Biehler wrote:

I got the impression that this only happens in Douce France. Anywhere else, such things are taken as "services rendered" for once and for all.

In Germany you can get royalties for "secondary use", i. e. DVD rental and the like (only applies to German citizens though). Join the VG WORT (www.vgwort.de) and register all the films, books etc. you translated!

Eeva Lilley
Eeva Lilley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
correlation Mar 17, 2008

Correlation normally means that the DVD subtitling company is using an earlier translation of the film (eg. a theatrical translation) and they are altering it to fit their format. It's mainly adding and deleting some subtitles, merging others.

fionainrome
fionainrome
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still haven't heard back and doubt I ever will Mar 20, 2008

I don't get it, I accepted their fees (which were ridiculous according to many of you), I wrote back to them twice and I've never heard back from them.
The world of translation moves in mysterious ways....

[Edited at 2008-03-20 12:02]

Barbara Salardi
Barbara Salardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Not too bad... Mar 20, 2008

If the rates they proposed you were so ridiculously low then possibly it's better this way, maybe you'll get better opportunities in the future.

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
Same old song Mar 21, 2008

fionainrome wrote:

I don't get it, I accepted their fees (which were ridiculous according to many of you), I wrote back to them twice and I've never heard back from them.
The world of translation moves in mysterious ways....

I guess you're just a new name in a translators' base. They may call you in a month or two to do a job for the following day. ;o )

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:52
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Yeah, right! Mar 21, 2008

Sylvano wrote:
I guess you're just a new name in a translators' base. They may call you in a month or two to do a job for the following day. ;o )

Maybe next year... they never know when a job so tough and/or so cheap will come up to force them into using a newcomer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could you help me decipher some terms (like simulation, bonus etc) and give me some advise?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »