Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Swordfish: does anybody out there have experience with this?
Thread poster: Colette Kinsella

Colette Kinsella
Ireland
Local time: 20:03
German to English
Apr 15, 2008

Hi All
I've recently switched from PC to Mac, can't get Wordfast to work on it (I've been on various forums looking for answers to no avail). I'm reluctant to install a virtual PC on my Mac (don't see the point) and I came across this tool. I'm looking for general feedback on it> i.e. is it ok to use with Trados TMs, are there any quirks to look out for? Or should I just give in an install a virtual PC on my sleek, new Apple machine?

Thanks for any help!

Colette

www.cherry-comm.com

Direct link Reply with quote

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:03
English to Spanish
Swordfish mailing list Apr 15, 2008

Hi,

You can join the Swordfish mailing list at Yahoo! and ask the users about their experiences.

The subscription page for the list is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/swordfish_support

Regards,
Rodolfo

Colette Kinsella
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Swordfish user group Apr 15, 2008

Thanks for the hint. I know that you use it/ Are you happy with it and are you able to translate Word documents using Trados tmx TMs?

Thanks

Colette

CFK TRAD  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:03
English to French
+ ...
It's not bad at all ! Apr 15, 2008

Hello,

I use both SWORDFISH and HEARTSOME. If you import trados "TMX" files (and not TTX or TMW), this will work fine. TMX being a generic system, you'll open the files safely.

As far as you're thinking about Word files, both Swordfish and Heartsome are designed for Open Office.

This means that :
1°) You download Open Office (free, and easy to use), you save the word file as an oo file (xxx.odt), you translate the file in Swordfish and then you save the translation (in OpenOffice) as a word document. Easy, and keeps the layouts.

2°) You save the Word doc as a RTF file (necessary when asked to devliver TRADOS UNCLEAN) and proceed as if it were a Word file.

Swordfish is fine, though I find it slightly expensive compared with Heartsome, which has a more comprehensive suit. However, all these softwares are compliant with each other ; I mean that you can have Swordfish as a CAT and then buy and use Heartsome TMX Editor separedly (on the same machine) to edit and update your databases.

I have used Wordfast a couple of weeks and I find Swordfish and Heartsome easier to use, but this is very personal. Converting files is not a problem, and the softwares work fine.

Best,

Coralie.

[Modifié le 2008-04-15 16:10]

English to Spanish
About Swordfish Apr 15, 2008

Hi,

My opinion is biased, can't tell you that I'm just a happy user because I'm the author.

However, I can tell you that Swordfish supports Trados uncleaned files and TTX files. It can also exchange TMX files with Trados.

Regards,
Rodolfo

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:03
English to French
+ ...
Contradiction Apr 15, 2008

Colette Kinsella wrote:

I've recently switched from PC to Mac, can't get Wordfast to work on it.

I'm reluctant to install a virtual PC on my Mac (don't see the point).
[/quote]

Forgive me for contradicting you, but didn't you just identify a very good reason to install a virtual machine? Look up Bootcamp and other associated software (Wikipedia may be a good start). Most users report that virtual machine software is safe and works well. I am in fact thinking of getting a Mac and doing a parallel Windows install on it to get Trados to work on my future Mac.

Colette Kinsella wrote:
ould I just give in an install a virtual PC on my sleek, new Apple machine?
[/quote]

Your Mac will still be a sleek, new machine if you do so. I think you should at least give it a try. Switching to a new CAT tool may not be the best solution here. Who knows - you may well end up being dissatisfied with a different CAT tool and you may end up feeling that not only the CAT tool investment was a total failure, but the investment in the sleek, new Mac may be disappointing as well.

All the best!

[Edited at 2008-04-15 17:20]

Colette Kinsella
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
...not necessarily a contradiction... Apr 15, 2008

...seeing as the reason I went for a Mac was to get away from using Windows as a plattform.

Hence my interest in getting as much information about other CAT tools.

Thanks for your post and tips.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Virtual? Apr 16, 2008

Just for clarification:

With a new Mac, you don't even have to make it a virtual machine (which is often slow or doesn't support all applications) - you can install Windows for real! Just use BootCamp to install Windows as a secondary O/S on your Mac and choose at bootup whether you want to use MacOS or Windows in this session.

Macs are nothing but overpriced PCs these days. Whoops, I said the O-word. Sorry. Anyway, they're compatible.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2008-04-16 09:42]

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Opinion of a beta tester :) Apr 16, 2008

I've beta tested Swordfish since the beginning of 2008, and I am quite happy with it. In fact, since the beginning of beta tests I've used SDLX less, which had been my favorite CAT tool before. In Swordfish you can customize keyboard shortcuts, in SDL Edit you can't.

In Swordfish you can auto-translate (substitute terminology from your termbase / glossary, in SDL Edit you can't do that with a single segment.

With TMX files generated by Trados, make sure that they don't contain any invalid characters. Maxprograms, Rodolfo's company, has a free tool for that, called TMX Validator. Have a look at www.maxprograms.com.

In Swordfish, you can also import a delimited text file into the TM database (CSV etc.)

By the way, Rodolfo, Swordfish is not able to import a TM exported from Workbench as Trados txt, so here is an enhancement request.

Regards,

Piotr

[Edited at 2008-04-16 09:49]

Colette Kinsella
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the info Apr 16, 2008

Great info. But my outsources often want an unclean file back (bilingual Trados document). What is the story with this in Swordfish?

English to Spanish
Bilingual RTF Apr 16, 2008

Hi,

With Swordfish you can translate regular RTF files as "Tagged RTF" and obtain "uncleaned" RTF (bilingual Trados/Wordfast document).

Swordfish includes RTFCleaner, a tool that removes Trados markup from RTF files, so you can deliver clean/unclean versions of the translated document.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Colette Kinsella
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Apr 16, 2008

..and i hope our product does well for you!

Regards

Colette

xxxEric Hahn  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Windows Vista Jun 1, 2008

Hello,

I tried to install Swordfish on my Windows Vista system, but the installation process is not successful ...

Regards, Eric

English to Spanish
Contact Maxprograms' tech support Jun 1, 2008

Eric Hahn wrote:
I tried to install Swordfish on my Windows Vista system, but the installation process is not successful ...

Hi,

Swordfish works very well on Vista. All you need is Java 1.5 or 1.6 from Sun Microsystems (get it at http://www.java.com ).

If after installing Java you still have problems, contact Maxprograms tech support at tech@maxprograms.com or join the support list at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/swordfish_support/

Regards,
Rodolfo

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
What do you do with .ini files in Swordfish? Jun 21, 2010

Hello,

Two days ago I was pleasently surprised by the discovery of Swordfish, I finally saw a way out from PC. I started "playing" with it and I really like it.
However, I have a doubt about those .ini files that Trados uses. Most of my clients send me those to use with their translations, and when I was going to use Swordfish for a job, I realised I didn't know what to do about the .ini file.

Does swordfish have an option for .ini files? Are they necessary?

I would love to switch from Trados to Swordfish! And from PC to Mac...for good.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Swordfish: does anybody out there have experience with this?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search