Thread poster: Anna Muntean Stacanova

Anna Muntean Stacanova
United States
Local time: 14:45
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2010

Hello!

I am using and trying out Swordfish. Its interface is such a pleasant surprise: everything together, no many windows around like in Trados, very confortable.

But it terminology recognition is lacking sometimes (not worse than of any other CAT I used).

I am wondering about Hearsome's terminology recognition. If you have experience with it, please comment.

Another good thing about Swrodfish is dictionary settings and google translate option. Does it work in Hearsome?

Thank you!

Anna

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
English to Spanish
Swordfish support group Aug 13, 2010

Hi,

You can ask at the Swordfish Support group at Yahoo! Most users there have experience with both tools.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:45
French to Polish
+ ...
Separate forum for Swordfish? Aug 14, 2010

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

You can ask at the Swordfish Support group at Yahoo! Most users there have experience with both tools.

BTW.
Just an idea.
Rodolfo, you don't think it's time to create a separate forum for Swordfish here?

Swordfish is already known enough icon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

English to Spanish
Swordfish forum Aug 14, 2010

Hi Grzegorz,

It could be a good idea, but I don't know the ProZ procedures for requesting that.

Regards,
Rodolfo

French to Polish
+ ...
Staff member? Aug 14, 2010

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

It could be a good idea, but I don't know the ProZ procedures for requesting that.

Neither me icon_smile.gif
I'm organizationally disabled...

I would ask a moderator or, better, a staff member.

Swordfish is explicitely discussed on several forums here (e.g. Linux and Mac ones) and it's features are sometimes mentioned in several threads, e.g. see my little remark at http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/176848-adding_terms_to_sdl_multiterm.html

I suppose Swordfish is more widely used than Alchemy Publisher which has it's own forum.
I'm sure the active Swordfish users like Piotr Bieńkowski or Laurent Krauland will support your query.
Sorry, the supporter list is not complete icon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

English to Spanish
Forum requirements Aug 14, 2010

Hi,

Just clicked the support link at the bottom of the page and asked for the requirements to have a dedicated forum.

We'll see what's next.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
New "Swordfish support" forum available Aug 17, 2010

Hi All,

Sorry to intrude here and for the delay in my reply.

I just wanted to let you know that a new Swordfish support forum has been created, http://www.proz.com/forum/971

Also, I have moved Swordfish-related threads, including this one, to this new forum to keep all information in one place.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Lucia

French to Polish
+ ...
Fuzzy term searches... Aug 18, 2010

Anna Muntean Stacanova wrote:

I am using and trying out Swordfish. Its interface is such a pleasant surprise: everything together, no many windows around like in Trados, very confortable.

But it terminology recognition is lacking sometimes (not worse than of any other CAT I used).

Well, it's better than DVX icon_smile.gif
You selected the Fuzzy term searches in the Options menu?
IMO it works quite well, even for heavily inflected languages as Polish.
I always optimize my databases for quality, maybe the speed setting is a problem.

Cheers
GG

English to Spanish
Terminology database settings Aug 18, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
You selected the Fuzzy term searches in the Options menu?
IMO it works quite well, even for heavily inflected languages as Polish.
I always optimize my databases for quality, maybe the speed setting is a problem.

Hi,

Use "match quality" option for terminology databases. This is a must for using fuzzy term searches.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Terminology database size is important, too Aug 18, 2010

I found that terminology databases with about 10000 entries or more slow down the program when going from segment to segment. I mean internal databases optimized for quality.

Regards

Piotr

French to Polish
+ ...
Oracle Aug 18, 2010

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

I found that terminology databases with about 10000 entries or more slow down the program when going from segment to segment. I mean internal databases optimized for quality

I use the internal DB only for simple test purposes.
Above 10k records it may be unusable, I noticed it x years ago, in the Heartsome 5 epoch.
I use Oracle XE.
Oracle is not a religion, it simply worked for me out of the box, I'm damn lazy.
It's possible other SQL engines work better.

Cheers
GG

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Internal DB has changed under the hood in SFish II Aug 18, 2010

Berkley DB runs as internal db in SF II and Rodolfo claims it to be better/faster than the internal db in Swordfish 1.x.

Oracle XE is fast but it has limited DB capacity. When you reach a certain threshold, you can't add any more TUs. Happened to me already.

Regards,

Piotr

Anna Muntean Stacanova
United States
Local time: 14:45
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So it was fuzzy match Aug 19, 2010

i see now,. I had to put a mark on Fuzzy term searches. It helped. Not so muc hwith German though. But form what i have experienced Trados and Wordfast do the same or worse, sometimes they would not show the term already in the glossary.

That you the reples.

Piotr, yes I would think Sworfish slows down if the glossary reaches 10,000 terms. And I think so does every software, Trados does that. Even the computer, when many programs are working, will slow downicon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology recognition and dictionaries in Swordfish and Heartsome

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search