"Could not create the Java virtual machine" message during setup...
Thread poster: Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:03
French to Polish
+ ...
Oct 14, 2011

Hi

I was installing Swordfish III on one of my Windows machines.
After some intents finished with the error message above I found a hack.

If you spot the seme problem:
- when the message is displayed, kill the setup application (in this way, the temporary setup files will not be deleted),
- find these files in the TEMP directory (in my case, they were placed in the WZSE0.TMP folder),
- find the MAX_MEMORY file (5 bytes) and open it in a text edit
... See more
Hi

If you spot the seme problem:
- when the message is displayed, kill the setup application (in this way, the temporary setup files will not be deleted),
- find these files in the TEMP directory (in my case, they were placed in the WZSE0.TMP folder),
- find the MAX_MEMORY file (5 bytes) and open it in a text editor,
- replace the 999 value by a smaller one (e.g. 768 or 512) and save,
- run the Install.exe file.
Done

After the setup, it may be necessary to adjust this value in the Program Files\Swordfish III folder (the biggest working value below 999 should be used)

PS.
In theory, I had enough free memory on this machine but probably the setup was unable to find a contiguous free memory space.
IMO this value is far too big for the setup and should not be hardcoded in this way...

Cheers
GG
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Have you "phoned home"? :-) Oct 14, 2011

Rodolfo is very likely to read this forum, but it is also a good idea to send bug reports to tech-at-maxprograms.com

Regards,

Piotr

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Hi

quote]

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:03
English to Spanish
You need memory Oct 14, 2011

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
In theory, I had enough free memory on this machine but probably the setup was unable to find a contiguous free memory space.

If you can't run the installer in that computer, then you may have hard times running the program.

IMO this value is far too big for the setup and should not be hardcoded in this way...

It is not too big, it is selected on purpose.

If there isn't at least 1 GB of memory (real RAM or hard disk space that can be used for swapping), then the machine is not good for running Swordfish.

I guess that you were trying to install in a virtual machine. Try with a real computer instead.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Real machine... Oct 14, 2011

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

If you can't run the installer in that computer, then you may have hard times running the program.

It seems it works well with 768 MB MAX_MEMORY.
Tomorrow I'll try to find the max working configuration.

It is not too big, it is selected on purpose.

I agree it may make sound for Swordfish itself but the setup should not need this amount of memory.
Initially, I put 512 MB and it worked flawlessly.
I suppose the setup would need far less than 512 MB, the problem is the MAX_MEMORY setting is global.

If there isn't at least 1 GB of memory (real RAM or hard disk space that can be used for swapping), then the machine is not good for running Swordfish.

I guess that you were trying to install in a virtual machine. Try with a real computer instead.

It was a real machine with 3 GB of RAM (Win XP SP3, IBM X60s, 500 GB HDD), only 1 GB of RAM used (after reboot).
I think the problem was related to memory fragmentation due to some resident software.
It happens sometimes but I rebooted several times with no success.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2011-10-15 13:03 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just a solution... Oct 14, 2011

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Rodolfo is very likely to read this forum, but it is also a good idea to send bug reports to tech-at-maxprograms.com

You're probably right.
Nonetheless, I fixed it in 15-20 minutes, so it was not really critical for me but I think the solution may be useful for other people.
IMO the Swordfish users are able to google before they ask for support

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Could not create the Java virtual machine" message during setup...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »