Off topic: Konkurrenz vs. Mitbewerber? German Context
Thread poster: Liala Stieglitz
Liala Stieglitz
Local time: 17:44
German to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2009

Hello everyone!

I hope this is the right forum to post this. I had my Thursday's English course last evening and we were talking about stocks and the influence of competition (among other things). In any case, I had to explain what competition means. Because I describe unknown words in English, a student bursted out "Mitbewerber" and yet another "Konkurrenz". A (short) disscussion in German started about how the word "Konkurrenz" is being more and more replaced by "Mitbewerber" and that you shouldn't be using "Konkurrenz" any more.

Has anyone made the same experience? What do you think? "Mitbewerber" simply sounds too "nice"/"polite"/"personal". I could imagine using it for single persons who are after the same thing that I am (i.e. job interviews) but not really for competing companies. Or am I differentiating too much?

Direct link Reply with quote

Isabel Severing
German to English
+ ...
Mitbewerber HAS replaced the term Konkurrenz Apr 27, 2009

...Konkurrenz is no longer considered 'PC'. In the business world, the term has been completely replaced by Mitbewerber. Which doesn't change anything about the fact that they actually both carry the same meaning.

Just re-read your post - your students said the exact same thing.

Mitbewerber is *NOT* just used for individuals - companies will talk about Mitbewerber, and a completely normal task in any business is the 'Mitbewerberbeobachtung'.

Liala Stieglitz
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feel of the words Apr 28, 2009

Oh, I don't doubt that my student/s is/are right. I am curious though, about how others, especially native speakers, *feel* about this expression. As I've said, Mitbewerber sounds more personal to me. I'd rather "fight" against a Konkurent than a Mitbewerber. But I guess it really is a personal thing and I'll have to get used to it.

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 12:44
From the grammatical point Apr 28, 2009

Competition is Konkurrenz;
A competitor is ein Konkurrent oder Mitbewerber. Both "Konkurrent" and "Mitbewerber" can refer to companies.

Otherwise I agree with you, a "Konkurrent" is more or less a rival, whilst "Mitbewerber" is neutral by nature.

P.S. I am not a native speaker of German.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Konkurrenz vs. Mitbewerber? German Context

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search