Thread poster: carrick16

carrick16  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:25
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 21, 2009

Hi all,

could you please suggest a good Irish course in Ireland?
What I found on the Internet is not what I'm looking for: schools to improve your language skills (I would be a beginner) or teenager focused, summer schools for kids or adults which offer very short courses, on the other side too detailed University courses (too many classes on old Irish, writing, bards... which are all very interesting, but learning the basics first would be ideal) and not many chances for non-speakers there.
What I'm looking for is an adult language course, that would teach "Irish as a foreign language", starting from the very basics and reaching good writing/reading/conversation skills through different levels... Any suggestions? ANYWHERE in Ireland would do!

Many thanks in advance!

Elvira.

Direct link Reply with quote

Agnes Molnar  Identity Verified
Hungary
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Irish courses for you Jun 21, 2009

Hi Elvira,

found an online course for you:
http://www.gaeltalk.net/index1.html

and here is an intensive course
http://www.nightcourses.com/search.html?op=showcourse&row_id=33322

and this here is a list of irish language courses:
http://www.europa-pages.com/ireland/irish.html

good luck!
Agnes

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:25
Spanish to English
I don't know if they have beginners but... Jun 22, 2009

It had heard, many years ago, that this school in donegal is good and fun

http://www.oideas-gael.com/

Maybe you should write and ask.

Regards
Lesley

Sean Linney  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:25
French to English
+ ...
Oideas Gael Jun 22, 2009

I spent two weeks at Oideas Gael a few years ago and I had a fantastic time. The classes were good and the social life in the evenings was very lively. The countryside surrounding the school is also very dramatic. All in all, I'd recommend it.

carrick16  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
...think I found something that looks like it... Jun 22, 2009

I heard so much about Oideas Gael it was one of the first schools I checked. They have beginners courses... thing is, though, they concentrate too much on conversation and leave aside reading/writing/grammar, plus they have no full-year schedule, just summer courses while I'm looking for something regular (a few hours per week, for 12 months or so).

Anyway thanks a million Sean and Lesley for suggesting it (maybe, when my level is intermediate or so, I'll take a summer class in Donegal).

Thank you Agnes for your links: following the "euro-pages" one I think I found what I'm looking for: Gael Linn, Conradh na Gaeilge, and GaelChultur are Dublin based schools and organisations offering long courses, different levels and all the subjects I need... I'll ring and see what suits best.

Meanwhile if you'd like to recommend one of them or know about other schools/Colleges/Universities, your opinion is still welcome!!

Thanks and Regards,
Elvira.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A good Irish course?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search