Off topic: Italian for a teenager in Italy this summer
Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:52
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jun 22, 2009

My already bilingual (English + Swedish) 14 year old son has decided he doesn't like languages. So I've agreed to let him drop Spanish and German at school next year on condition he studies Italian out of school.

This is actually a language he wants to learn (he's half Italian and met some of his Italian family last year for the first time). And actually wanting to learn a language somehow helps the learning process...

As he'll be taking beginners' classes after school from September, I thought it might be a good idea to combine his/our summer holiday with some kind of language camp for teenagers. I have fond memories of learning all about Bacardi & coke during 4 weeks in Eastbourne many moons ago. And 3 months in Firenze as an adult sorted out my knowledge of Amaretto.

But I don't seem to be able to find any language camps for young teenagers. Swedish companies generally only do the languages taught in school (EN, DE, FR and ES) and there doesn't seem to be any English companies focusing on teenagers. And looking directly on sites for Italian languages schools, all I find is 16+ courses.

Any ideas? Either on his own or with me in the background? His Italian family is dispersed all over - from Vicenza via Pisa to Napoli, but Rome would be good as that's where his cousin who's nearest in age lives.

Madeleine

Direct link Reply with quote

Ana Rita Simões  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Italian forum Jun 22, 2009

Hi Madeleine!

I don't know any Italian schools in Rome specifically for teenagers, and my internet search was fruitless. But maybe you can post in the Italian forum? I'm sure someone must know something. If you want, I can help you with the Italian

Rita

Juliet Halewood  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:52
Italian to English
I've found something Jun 23, 2009

Hi Madeleine,

I've been looking for the same thing for my English niece who is studying Italian in school. I've come up with the following but haven't tried contacting anyone yet.

travelsportcamp.com (a sports/language camp based in Perugia)
www.mbscambi.com/incoming/ (in Lignano)

Not much I know and nothing in Rome, but hopefully it will get you started in your search!

Elisabetta M.  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:52
English to French
+ ...
Dante Alighieri school Jun 23, 2009

http://www.clidante.it/italiano/interna.asp?pag=chi%20siamo&t=1

This one is in Rome.
Dante Alighieri should be the italian institution (something like Cambridge for english). But there are many links on the internet and I am not sure the one I found is the "real one".
You can contact the italian cultural insitute in London
http://www.icilondon.esteri.it/IIC_Londra/Menu/Imparare_Italiano/Corsi_per_stranieri_in_Italia/

[Modifié le 2009-06-23 09:51 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grazie a tutti Jun 23, 2009

@ Elisabetta

Dante Alighieri schools seem to be like "my" old school (Leonardo da Vinci) in Firenze and start at 16+. But I will definitely contact the Italian cultural institute for more info.

@Juliet

This looked great until I clicked on the "prices" page. Roughly 10x what my parents paid many moons ago sending me to live with a family in California and attend US high school for a year. Yes there's inflation and the family got paid nothing for housing and feeding me, but still...

@Ana Rita

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to start with the Italian institute for now, but if I need to post on the Italian forum I'll gladly accept your offer to help with my Italian.

Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:52
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
a couple of ideas Jun 24, 2009

Hi Madeleine,

I don't know what it's like and whether it's too expensive, but have you seen this? http://www.applelanguages.it/it/imparare/ragazzi/italiano/lignano.php
I'm afraid you won't find anything too cheap in summer in italy.
does your son speak any Italian at all yet? If he does, it might be interesting to look into some summer camps organised by a small parish - they're usually cheaper, quite interesting and fun and not too "church-related".

Ciao!

Mara

Ana Rita Simões  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
EF Jun 24, 2009

Hi again Madeleine,

I remembered there are these courses as well: http://www.ef-uk.co.uk/master/ils/destinations/italy/rome/overview/ I never did an EF course, but my boyfriend did (he's Italian and he went to the Trinity College in Ireland to study English) and loved it (many moons ago, too). It's mainly to focused to English learners, but they have other languages too - I found this school in Rome, but they don't disclose the prices and I'm guessing it will be more or less like the school Juliet mentioned - nevertheless, give it a try if you like

Like Mara said, it will be hard to find something "cheap" in Italy in the summer, and even less in Rome.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian for a teenager in Italy this summer

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search