The opportunity cost of learning a language.
Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:29
Flemish to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2010

I would like to register at our local school to attend evening classes of Chinese. Just to get around when I go back to China to visit old aquiantances.
But how does this match with translation?
After all, when you accept an assignment on Monday-afternoon with as deadine the next day, you can forget going to the language class the same evening? Evening classes at university have proven that translation is not very well compatible with evening classes.

[Edited at 2010
... See more
I would like to register at our local school to attend evening classes of Chinese. Just to get around when I go back to China to visit old aquiantances.
But how does this match with translation?
After all, when you accept an assignment on Monday-afternoon with as deadine the next day, you can forget going to the language class the same evening? Evening classes at university have proven that translation is not very well compatible with evening classes.

[Edited at 2010-08-15 12:43 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The opportunity cost of learning a language.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »