Thread poster: Noni Gilbert

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Local time: 08:40
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 22, 2011

I am involved in the running of a language school in central Spain. In the past, we have been able to join forces with our regional association of language schools to donate surplus text books to an NGO in Latin America via another NGO here in Spain, who were able to handle the shipping of our donations. This route has sadly dried up. Another potential recipient in North Africa said that their priority for shipping had to be food rather than books. Fair enough.

Does anyone in Spain know of a way of getting our unwanted books to a needy home, within Spain or farther afield? What seems outdated for us in the way of teaching material might well be gold dust for others and we would hate to see valuable resources going to waste.

Thanks for your help.

Noni

Direct link Reply with quote

Camelia Colnic  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:40
Romanian to English
+ ...
interested Feb 22, 2011

would you be able to give me some examples of the books you may have? I could try to find some schools in Romania that may need them, or a library or something. But I do want to know some books, so that I have an idea about them. Thanks.

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is there available? Feb 23, 2011

I'm going to send Camelia a list with a few of the titles, but it's probably of interest to everyone to know that the books include course books for students of all ages and levels, teachers books for those courses and even listening material in some cases, and resource books, altho those ones are more likely to be rather out of date if we have decided that we don't want to keep them.

In some cases we are simply removing the books from our staff room because of space limitations - they will have been bumped out by more recent acquisitions. In other cases we have changed the course books we use, and therefore have used or worn sets of teacher/student/work books with listening material. Then we have insecptions copies of course books, which will mean that we won't have the full set. And finally books which have been left behind by students, which will be in a variety of conditions...

We are anxious to prolong the useful life of these books, but I would say that we don't have a great deal of time on our hands to be sorting through for individual selections!!

grzzpo
Poland
Polish to German
+ ...
List of books May 18, 2011

I would be grateful if you could provide me with the list of the above-mentioned textbooks. Are they still on offer?
Thanks.

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some... May 18, 2011

I am in touch with a high school in Romania and we are trying to find a way to send books cheaply. My problem is complete lack of time to organise things, and therefore I don't also have time to inventorize the piles of books, although I do have some idea. Where are you and what kinds of books do you need?

kaushi  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Sinhala (Sinhalese)
+ ...
Sri Lanka via Germany too? Please! Aug 2, 2011

I am involved in supporting rebuilding educational facilities in war torn areas in Sri Lanka - my birth country.
I am now living in Germany, and am able to send stuff to Sri Lanka, together with other materials I routinely collect and send. If you felt able to spare some stuff ... I know there are already other requests, and dont want to disappoint them too much, either.
All levels up to C1 would be useful actually - there used to be a very good university which hopefully will refunction to full capacity asap...but the village folk and due to the war situ, there defintely would be need also for beginner upwards.
Best would be if the material from the same course book range could be bundled as there would be continuity of concept and style in the material.
Also language teaching games books, and teacher training would be invaluable.
Children, Teenage, Adult, ESP, EAP, Exams...
Anything, really!
Thanks for considering us!
Kaushi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Out of date and surplus EFL/ESOL books

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search