What reading material would you suggest to get ready for the CPE exam?
Thread poster: grzzpo
grzzpo
Poland
Local time: 07:16
Polish to German
+ ...
Apr 9, 2011

Hello. I would like to get ready for the CPE exam. I have passed CAE. I am not good at speaking and I could hardly deal with the time pressure during the exam (reading).
What materials do you think are the best?
I am considering:

1. English Collocations in Use Advanced + Vocabulary/Phrasal Verbs (not sure).
2. New Progress to Proficiency.
3. CPE Listening and Speaking Skills.
4. Upstream Proficiency.

I do not have much time for this - in a few months I will have to begin my studies and I learn German, French and Swedish as well.
Is there anything I should add to the list above?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

kaushi  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Sinhala (Sinhalese)
+ ...
BBC Podcasts Aug 2, 2011

I think under the time pressure you mention the best bet would be to download podcasts on to an MP3 player - from the BBC websites - there is the news site and also the learning English site (also from British council).
Listen to them on the run - while travelling, waiting in line at the doctors etc. Also while jogging cooking.
It helps in improving listening and all round comprehension and will also help with reading comprehension to an extent.
Will help enormously in improving spoken interaction. Understanding your partner, and also improve your fluency and pronunciation.
Watch your favourite films in English with English subtitles when you are too tired out to do any thing else. You will relax and also absorb the language without strain as you already know the content. Wont be boring as you love the film.
Read the newspapers - and compare your understanding of daily main headine topics by comparing with your native newspapers or vice versa.
CPE is native speaker level competence exam - dont restrict yourself to course books.
best wishes
Kaushi

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What reading material would you suggest to get ready for the CPE exam?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search