Inspiring techniques for learning languages
Thread poster: SummerChaser

SummerChaser
Russian to English
Jun 2, 2011

Greetings eager to consume foreign languages!

Language, I believe, are the best source to plunge into the culture of a nation. One can find out the mentality, culture and history of a folk hearing the patters that appear in languages. But, I find it saddening that nowadays educational establishments and the whole educational system found a way to kill the desire to learn foreign languages. tremble when I think of high-schools or universities, they are like houses of pain for me s
... See more
Greetings eager to consume foreign languages!

Language, I believe, are the best source to plunge into the culture of a nation. One can find out the mentality, culture and history of a folk hearing the patters that appear in languages. But, I find it saddening that nowadays educational establishments and the whole educational system found a way to kill the desire to learn foreign languages. tremble when I think of high-schools or universities, they are like houses of pain for me since I graduated from my linguistic university.
I realized that anyone can learn a language on ones own. All you need is a bunch of supportive learning materials and an inspiration, because learning a language is like playing a fascinating game that gives you keys to understanding people! I would like to dedicate this post to people who want to play with languages and have fun and share!
At the present moment I'm learning Swedish. I found a bunch of boring books with exercise online, but I noticed that they aren't effective for my vocabulary, I would like to use my swedish words in sentences, in everyday situations. and I found my inspiring source.
I would be really glad if everyone who reads this post could share his or her unique technique on learning foreign languages, give tips and useful web sites, give a list of links where passionate polyglots could draw information.
On my behalf I would love to share wit my "swedish inspiration" that I found on this site - http://speakswedishstupid.com/ where you can download a free eBook and sing up for an effective inspiring program Find Your Flow in Swedish.
If you have any doubts you can check this guy out on youtube on his channel SpeakSwedishStupid -http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeakSwedishStupid

I hope to receive new tips and experiences in learning foreign foreign languages! Let's make languages a fun game to play together!!

Lycka till!
Collapse

Marion Sadoux
China
Local time: 16:39
English to French
+ ...
Learn online and make new friends Jun 5, 2011

My tip: don't learn on your own!
Language classes make it more fun...motivating etc... but nothing beats diving at the deep end and talking with a native speaker.
Social networking Websites where you can learn languages and have direct interaction with native speakers all over the world are truely groundbeaking.
By far the best is Busuu. htpp://www.busuu.com
It only offers at the moment a li
... See more
My tip: don't learn on your own!
Language classes make it more fun...motivating etc... but nothing beats diving at the deep end and talking with a native speaker.
Social networking Websites where you can learn languages and have direct interaction with native speakers all over the world are truely groundbeaking.
By far the best is Busuu. htpp://www.busuu.com
It only offers at the moment a limited range of languages but this does not mean that you cannot pick up others on the way.
At the Open Language Programme at London Metropolitan University, all students are encouraged to register on Busuu (it is free and safe) and to seek conversation partners who are native speakers of the language they are learning. This enables you to have conversations with voice over IP - skype but better - and if the language you are learning is provided, as you chat you can also use a rather exceptionally good and reliable glossary/translator.
Although there is still relatively little empirical evidence to back this up, when communication is mediated through voice over IP (and you often have text chat tools available simultaneously), it tens to reduce Foreign language anxiety. In other words, even those of us who may be shy in real life situations manage to overcome these barriers.
When I teach online, I often am astounded by quite how much some students who really struggle to speak in class actually manage to say.
All this aside, Busuu is really great fun and I have now managed to make huge progress myself in some languages I used to struggle with!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inspiring techniques for learning languages

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search