need help finding educational materials for French tutoring
Thread poster: Carolingua

Carolingua  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2012

I am considering tutoring an intermediate-advanced student who is seeking help brushing up on French conversational skills and accent prior to moving from the United States to France. This person is particularly interested in me because I am a native French speaker and have a business/marketing background.

However, I am not sure I can jump right into a conversation without having some sort of lesson plan.

I'd like to find out how to develop a lesson plan or where to buy ready-made lesson plans or teaching materials that are good for tutors to use in one-on-one sessions with students of intermediate French, particularly any that focus on business-related conversations or topics.

I found many books on learning French but these are designed for self-teaching. I wonder how tutors use these books--do they have to buy two of them, one for them and one for their students? Are there books specifically designed for tutors--with a "student" version and a 'teacher's guide'?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice you can share!

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:17
Hebrew to English
Structured conversation classes Feb 6, 2012

Carolingua wrote:

I am considering tutoring an intermediate-advanced student who is seeking help brushing up on French conversational skills and accent prior to moving from the United States to France. This person is particularly interested in me because I am a native French speaker

It seems to me that this person basically wants conversation classes. The trouble with published pedagogical materials is that 9 times out of 10 they are based on/centred around a grammar syllabus.

From what you have said, it seems that this person isn't interested in learning more grammar, rather that speaking and listening skills are more what they want to focus on.

If you do look for materials, look for those which focus on speaking & listening. Plenty exist in ESL, but I can't attest to the French market, although I'd be shocked if there were none.

I agree you shouldn't go into a lesson without some kind of lesson plan - even for conversation classes, it should be structured. (Topics carefully chosen for optimal vocab elicitation, activities and tasks designed to stimulate conversation e.g. debates work well for more advanced students, playing devil's advocate, extended skits and role plays to match the student's level etc).

If you Google for a bit, it should give you more than a few ideas - try "French speaking skills" and go from there. Even if what you find appears "too easy" you can often adapt tasks to a more suitable level once you have the basic framework. (Grade the task, not the text philosophy).

To get you started:
http://asp.csdeschenes.qc.ca/snaps/improvisation/improvisation.htm
http://www.momes.net/education/oral/theatre/impro.html

And remember that this person is interested in you because you are a native French speaker, they want to listen and talk to you. Keep this in mind when selecting any materials and don't let yourself be "swallowed up" by the materials (a mistake I used to make in my early teaching).

Good luck!

[Edited at 2012-02-06 18:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

need help finding educational materials for French tutoring

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search