Teaching French to beginners
Thread poster: Laurent Chevrette

Laurent Chevrette  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to French
Feb 14, 2012

I would like to know if someone can think of one or two good/basic books (less than 50 USD per unit) without audio or any other special feature (just a plain book) to help teach some French basics to 3 25-30 business English native. It would be around 40 hours of training only, and mostly for spoken French. And they requested a book..

I will be that teacher. If anyone has an idea (would appreciate something that I can order online like amazon.com or any other e-bookstore)

Thank you so much!

Actually, merci beaucoup, et j'aurais peut-être dû écrire cela en français... je vais reposter

Direct link Reply with quote

Frankie JB
English to French
+ ...
Assimil? Feb 22, 2012

If, as I understand, they are pure beginners and are not specifically interested in business language, I think a good pick could be:

"Assimil - New French with ease" (-23€)

I don't know of so many language learning books/collections, but I have 2 good reasons to be so partial to Assimil:

-"It works", I owe Assimil my solid and sound knowledge of Italian, German, English and Greek, thanks to its so-called "intuitive assimilation", its clear explanations and its funny dialogs.
Of course, though, no audio means lesser retention...

-Alexander Arguelles, a polyglot whose job is to learn languages all day, states Assimil is certainly the best method.

To find out more about him, see:

To see what he has to say about Assimil, see:
(Alexander Arguelles presents a series of video reviews and demonstrations of those foreign language learning series that he has found most useful in his own studies).

Even though spread out learning is much better in terms of retention, I think you can manage to finish the book in 40 hours.

Good luck anyway

Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:56
Member (2007)
English to French
Pour les affaires... Feb 23, 2012

J'aime bien "français.com" de Jean-Luc Penfornis. Le livre Débutant (en bleu le plus clair) est très bien. On le trouve sur Amazon.Fr. A partir des autres sites Amazon, c'est toujours plus difficile ("ruptures de stock").

Je l'ai souvent utilisé avec des débutants et ça marche bien.
Le livre est entièrement en français, ce qui les choque toujours un peu au début, mais ça fait partie du jeu.

Je vous que vous êtes au Canada. Voici le lien pour Amazon Canada :

[Modifié le 2012-02-23 15:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Teaching French to beginners

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

• All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search