International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Have you ever taught a language to your buddy?
Thread poster: RafaLee
RafaLee
Australia
Local time: 03:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 16, 2004

Dear all,

Have you ever taught a language to your buddy? If you have, how did you do that ?

Back in my university years, I have sucesfully taught my Chinese friend Indonesian. Firstly, I taught him 'useful' phrases such as " hey, where on earth are you?" , " he is crazy" etc. From there, I slowly taught him basic Indonesian language structure. At the end, he could say a few simple sentences..ah..uni days..

Direct link Reply with quote

Anna Degteva
Local time: 20:14
English to Russian
+ ...
Discount Jun 16, 2004

I'm afraid i'm going to do it soon// and he asks me to give him a discount of charge:)))) any opinions on a proper discount?

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:14
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Language exchanges Jun 26, 2004

Hi there,

I think language exchanges are a very common way of teaching and studying foreign languages. In my university in Germersheim, Germany (a university for translators and interpreters), it is very normal that the students find a native speaker of the language they study to practice their language skills.

It seems a good way of 1. improving your own language skills and those of your partner, 2. learning about the other culture and explaining your own culture, and 3. learning things that books could never teach you.

Rosemary Schmid
Local time: 13:14
English
Trading teaching and learning Jun 29, 2004

If you're not getting paid, then a useful and amusing way to learn and teach each other is to meet for 1 1/2 hours with a FIRM commitment to talking and listening and /or reading and writing in each other's language in a 45 minute session. You have to commit to NO talking in the other language. Then, after 45 minutes, you switch to the other language.

If you're farther along, my husband used to do this method. He would talk in English and his colleague would respond in German, for example for a given amount of time. Then, they would switch and he would talk in German and the colleague would use English. I don't think this method would work if both of you are not at least able to survive in the other language.

If you're getting paid, then you discuss with the "student" and with the student's interpreter, what areas are most interesting to the student. Language in context is much easier to learn and remember. Whatever is needed is much easier to learn!

Rosemary Schmid
Local time: 13:14
English
What's it worth to your friend, and what it's worth to you Jun 29, 2004

Lanskaya wrote:

I'm afraid i'm going to do it soon// and he asks me to give him a discount of charge:)))) any opinions on a proper discount?

I'm reminded of a married couple that I was asked to tutor whose English was nearly "native". I questioned whether I should be paid for the enjoyment of getting to know them. The woman said, "oh, absolutely yes. It would ruin our growing friendship if you wanted to be somewhere else or do something else and were begrudging us the time we had scheduled with you." (I discovered that for them, I was a cultural informant, a person they could trust to answer sticky questions without being personally insulted.) So, get paid, even by friends, or at least strike a truly fair trade of services AND TIME. If you don't trade language learning, then your friend can use his talents and the same amount of time to do something else for you.

If this friend is a romantic interest, so much the more so!

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you ever taught a language to your buddy?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search