Article on pronunciation of French consonants
Thread poster: Neil Coffey

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:35
French to English
+ ...
Jan 8, 2013

In case it is of interest to any colleagues here, I just wanted to mention an article on the pronunciation of French stop consonants I wrote recently that has now been published here: http://ezinearticles.com/?Improve-Your-French-Pronunciation:-Stop-Consonants&id=7449873

This is intended to be the first in a series of articles. Comments are always welcome!

Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:35
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Voice onset time Jan 8, 2013

When explaining the difference between English and French stop consonants, I find it useful to introduce the concept of voice onset time (VOT).

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:35
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VOT Jan 8, 2013

Hi Michele -- you raise a very interesting point. After hesitating about this a little, I decided in the end to focus more on "what the articulators are doing" (whereas VOT is if you like a way of gauging/comparing the 'resulting effect', or a way of classifying the stop system). I was also trying to strike a balance between how much technical terminology to introduce while trying to explain things "in layman's terms". But it's interesting that you say students have found the concept of VOT helpful.

[Edited at 2013-01-08 19:03 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article on pronunciation of French consonants

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search