Teaching prepositions
Thread poster: adesi
adesi
adesi
English to Spanish
Oct 5, 2004

Any time that I need to teach phrases, my students have trouble learning prepositions. It is very difficult to learn and teach. Do you know how?
Thanks

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 19:20
German to English
+ ...
Are you talking about prepositions in English or in Spanish? Oct 5, 2004

Please let us know if you are talking about teaching English or Spanish.

Thanks!

Alison

adesi
adesi
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
prepositions Oct 5, 2004

I am talking about prepositions in Spanish but I think it concerns other languages as well.

Thanks

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:20
French to Portuguese
+ ...
If it's about English prepositions Oct 5, 2004

I start by giving my students a table with the prepositions and explain them when they are used (if you need some papers and exercises on it, send me an e-mail and I will send them to you). For instance, there are "time prepositions" and I give them a lot of sentences in which they may appear so that they are aware of the differences between them. Then, I do the same for "place prepositions".

It usually works.

Good luck
Ivana

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:20
German to English
Teaching prepositions Oct 6, 2004

Hi adesi,
I can't talk about teaching Spanish prepositions, but maybe this general information about teaching English prepositions will be helpful. It's from The Grammar Book, An ESL/EFL Teacher's Course by Marianne Celce-Murcia and Diane Larsen-Freeman:
---
Whenever ESL/EFL teachers are surveyed regarding their teaching problems, prepositions emerge as a serious problem and are mentioned almost as frequently as articles; i.e. teachers - as a group - feel that prepositions are
... See more
Hi adesi,
I can't talk about teaching Spanish prepositions, but maybe this general information about teaching English prepositions will be helpful. It's from The Grammar Book, An ESL/EFL Teacher's Course by Marianne Celce-Murcia and Diane Larsen-Freeman:
---
Whenever ESL/EFL teachers are surveyed regarding their teaching problems, prepositions emerge as a serious problem and are mentioned almost as frequently as articles; i.e. teachers - as a group - feel that prepositions are the second most difficult aspect of the English language for their students.

.... Furthermore, when compared with other languages that have prepositions, the number of prepositions in English tends to be greater. For example, Spanish has one preposition 'en' that serves as the equivalent of three prepositions in English: in, on, and at.

I hope others can offer you additional ideas on teaching Spanish prepositions.

Best wishes, Kim
Collapse

adesi
adesi
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
You are right Oct 6, 2004

Kim Metzger wrote:

Hi adesi,
---
Whenever ESL/EFL teachers are surveyed regarding their teaching problems, prepositions emerge as a serious problem and are mentioned almost as frequently as articles; i.e. teachers - as a group - feel that prepositions are the second most difficult aspect of the English language for their students.

.... Furthermore, when compared with other languages that have prepositions, the number of prepositions in English tends to be greater. For example, Spanish has one preposition 'en' that serves as the equivalent of three prepositions in English: in, on, and at.

I hope others can offer you additional ideas on teaching Spanish prepositions.

Best wishes, Kim

Thanks, I will look for this book.
Sincerely,
Adesi

adesi
adesi
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
very helpful Oct 11, 2004

Your exercises are great.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Teaching prepositions

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »