University of Portsmouth MA Translation Studies (Distance Learning) feedback please
Thread poster: sunsaysalle
sunsaysalle
sunsaysalle
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 16:14
Jul 29, 2013

Hi everyone ,

I intend to apply for MA Translation Studies (Distance Learning) at Portsmouth . I am so excited and afraid at the same time ,so i was wondering if anyone had finish this program .
can you tell me if the degree by DL is equal to the Campus-based one ? the same value when i apply to any job ?
also if the certificate is written on it distance learning or is it a normal certificate the same as the Campus-based one ?

[Edited at 2013-07-
... See more
Hi everyone ,

I intend to apply for MA Translation Studies (Distance Learning) at Portsmouth . I am so excited and afraid at the same time ,so i was wondering if anyone had finish this program .
can you tell me if the degree by DL is equal to the Campus-based one ? the same value when i apply to any job ?
also if the certificate is written on it distance learning or is it a normal certificate the same as the Campus-based one ?

[Edited at 2013-07-29 17:48 GMT]
Collapse

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:14
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Recommended Jul 30, 2013

Hi,

I have recently finished the distance learning MA at Portsmouth and can highly recommend it. The certificate does say distance learning on it, but it seems to be just as valid as the on-site option. With UK government changes in funding, distance learning is becoming an increasingly popular option, and many reputable universities offer it. The Portsmouth course is well structured and interesting, and the tutors are helpful and knowledgeable. You can access library resources onli
... See more
Hi,

I have recently finished the distance learning MA at Portsmouth and can highly recommend it. The certificate does say distance learning on it, but it seems to be just as valid as the on-site option. With UK government changes in funding, distance learning is becoming an increasingly popular option, and many reputable universities offer it. The Portsmouth course is well structured and interesting, and the tutors are helpful and knowledgeable. You can access library resources online and library staff are very obliging if you need help tracking down a particular item.

It isn't an easy course - you have to be prepared to devote a lot of time and energy to it, but I am really glad I have done it and hope you will be too.

Good luck!
Collapse

sunsaysalle
sunsaysalle
Saudi Arabia
TOPIC STARTER
how are they going to exam us ? Jul 30, 2013

Thank you Helen Hagon .
I am also wondering , how are they going to exam us ?
sorry but i have no idea!
I was worried about the certificate issue because in my country they think that if it Distance Learning that mean you don't study you only buy it with money. which I know , It is not true.
but you can't change the way people think .
I am really thankful to you Helen and I wish you the best .

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:14
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Coursework Jul 31, 2013

Hi again,

There are no exams on this course - all the marks are based on coursework. At the end of each module you have to produce a piece of work, such as an essay or a translation, depending on what the module is about. Then, for the final module, you write a longer dissertation on any topic you have covered in the course.

My languages are Russian and French, so I'm not really familiar with the translation market in the Middle East. If you have specific questions, I
... See more
Hi again,

There are no exams on this course - all the marks are based on coursework. At the end of each module you have to produce a piece of work, such as an essay or a translation, depending on what the module is about. Then, for the final module, you write a longer dissertation on any topic you have covered in the course.

My languages are Russian and French, so I'm not really familiar with the translation market in the Middle East. If you have specific questions, I suggest you give them a call - I'm sure they will be happy to talk to you.
http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/modern-languages-and-area-studies/ma-translation-studies-dl/

Regards

Helen
Collapse

sunsaysalle
sunsaysalle
Saudi Arabia
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Helen you did help me a lot :) Jul 31, 2013

thank you Helen for answering all my question
I will take English - Arabic translation . These were my specialty at collage . I did study Japanese too , but I did not reach the level which I am able to translate .
thank you a lot Helen for your help and I wish you the best.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

University of Portsmouth MA Translation Studies (Distance Learning) feedback please

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »